Water changes?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

chrismck

Water changes?

by chrismck

Hi,

I'm currently changing a bucket full of water(3.7%) each day. Is that better than 10% once a week? Also I have a fluval 405 external filter that i'm cleaning once a month, is that enough?

All heathly in the tank.

Have a fluval profile 1200 - 323 ltrs (Uk)

Thanks

Chris

Holidays

by Holidays

Yes, smaller and more frequent water change is better than one large one after a week. And if all are healthy then that's your proof.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

do what you like...but it is easier to take out 10-15% on say Thursday then another 10-15% on say Sunday, that way you do not disrupt the fish as much. Whenever the human involves him/herself in the tank, the fish get stressed, best to leave the fish alone as much as possible. So water twice a week instead of 7 days a week.

just a thought

Alasse

by Alasse

If it works for you then by all means keep going, it will cause no issues, infact it benefits the fish.

This is why fry tanks are WC'd so often, it keeps the water in peak condition it stimulates fast growth and health in fry, so would certainy benefit all fish

chrismck

by chrismck

Thanks for your replies. C

Alasse

by Alasse

Oh i also have a Fluval 405 canister, and i only clean it when the flow noticably slows down (can be 2-3months)

cwilkin

by cwilkin

I have the canisters to and I had been wondering how often to change them. Do I need to add all the stuff that you can like the carbon or ammonia or is the filter pads and bio balls enough?

Alasse

by Alasse

The only thing i touch in mine is the fine filter pads, these i rinse out and put back in. If they are really bad and need changing i replace 2 (i have 4 lots in mine), and replace the other 2 next time.

Sometimes i give the ceramic rings a quick rinse to get the worst of the gunk off, then all is good.

I dont have carbon ect in mine. I have ceramic rings, and 2 filter sponges, 1 basket of finer filter mats and a bag of purigen.

Water changes?

8 posts