Found driftwood at the beach. How do i prepare it?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

So I found a giant peice of driftwood at the beach. Almost 4 feet long. lots of branches. So cool. Probably would cost 100 bucks at a fish store.

So how do i prepapre it for a freshwater tank? I know to boil it but its way too large for a pot. So i was going to soak it for a few weeks.

Advice please. remember...too large to boil on the stove and it came from salt water and i want to put it in freshwater.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Wow, i'm so jealous of you people who live near a beach! (and not just for collecting driftwood!). Do you have a tank big enough to fit the entire thing? If there is no way to boil it, i would think just soaking it would be okay. That's what i would do anyway.

christofrontosa

by christofrontosa

i put some big pieces into my dishwasher and ran it a few times. it makes a mess and of course no soap.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

cool ideas. this thing is literally 4 feet across. I'm setting up a 90 gal tank in a few weeks so it will fit perfectly. Sadly too big for my dishwasher. (my wife would kill me). I'm soaking it in a bathtub with the hottest water from my tap. Ill probably keep soaking it until i don't see anything come off in the water.

Any more ideas? I'm really worried about the the amount of salt in the piece.

Yea living in California is great. Beach 30 min. away...snow mountains 1 hours away....desert for toys....lakes.....Disneyland.....Hollywood. All great things but financially its a disaster. So expensive to live hear and out state is bankrupt. Their is a high financial price to pay for all those cool things.

Alasse

by Alasse

I would not use ocean wood in any of my freshwater tanks, unless any fish to be added had a tolerance of salt.

Salt is very difficult to fully remove from wood

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Thank you Alasse. Thats what i suspected. The fish i have is very important to me. I will not chance it.

6 posts