New tank what cichlids should I stock?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dpseafishlvr05

by dpseafishlvr05

So i just set up my first tank after months of browsing on here i decided to do my own. I just got it set up tonight sort of the way i want it. I know i want to put some variety of cichlid in my tank but it is only 20 gal and i dont want to over crowd them or have them be to aggressive twards one another, but the way i have it set up there are plenty of hiding spots. So what would be some good cichlids to add? And possible tank mates? i will up load pics soon (tank is empty so its a fresh start)

christofrontosa

by christofrontosa

sand or gravel as the substrate?

dpseafishlvr05

by dpseafishlvr05

It has gravel
1a73c-fish tank 1.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

Many cichlids do be overcrowded as it evens out aggression.

20gal limits you to the smaller cichlids. Some shell dwellers would look good in there

christofrontosa

by christofrontosa

thats actually why i asked if it was sand or gravel. shelldwellers make up most of their day moving sand all around. my multifasciatus tank looks new every day. you could switch to sand very cheap by buying play sand from lowes or home depot. i absolutely love my multis. if you don't want to go that route i would suggest rams kribs or an apistogramma of some kind in a tank that size

dpseafishlvr05

by dpseafishlvr05

I think i have made up my mind and with the size of the tank im just going to go with a pair of blue rams and possibly a few tiger barbs

6 posts