Apple snails

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Stampede

by Stampede

Woooohoooo! .....I don't think I would even know what one looks like. Congrats!!

Alasse

by Alasse

The snails now have 3 batches of eggs on the go, i am very soon gonna have snails everywhere *LOL*

snostorm

by snostorm

Just a question, I've got one apple golden snail like yours and it's shell looks a bit poor, almost like you can see the layers, anything to make it look better? Water levels are good... can you add like calcium or something?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

To protect the shell, the pH of the water should be kept at 7 (neutral water) or higher (alkaline). It's important to pay attention to this. If the water is too soft, one can increase the calcium concentration by adding powdered marble, lime stone, sea shells. To prevent shell grow problems; it's best to avoid sudden changes in the water/food conditions.

A low pH (below 6.5) and low in calcium content, the snails are unable to create a strong shell in such cases and become vulnerable to shell damage, especially when the protecting outer layer has vanished with age (common in older snails of some species). It's therefore advisable to test the pH if one notice shell problems. For most apple snails a pH of 7 to 8 is optimal. A low pH can be easily corrected by adding calcium carbonate to the water.

Before you raise the pH, make sure that the other inhabitants (fish) of the tank tolerate a pH of 7-8. Also never increase the pH too much at once (0.5/day max.).

Once the pH of the water drops and the water becomes acid (pH below 7), the calciums start to dissolve. As long as this process advances at a slow speed, the snail is often able to enforce the calcium layer, although only at the inside. The ouside of the shell is dead material, and cannot be repaired by the snail itself, so once damaged, it will stay that way.

I have over 50 snails including about 25 apple snails (black, blue, ivory and golden), so I know from experience...I plan to get about 25 more.

hope this info gives you a good understanding of the snail's shell deterioration...if you need further help just ask we're here

Alasse

by Alasse

I have high PH water but it lacks high carbonate hardness. Doesnt worry the snails though...anyway

Half of the 1st batch have now emerged, more are appearing daily.
be7de-Apple eggs 6th Nov 2010.jpg
488c6-Apple eggs 6th Nov 2010 a.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

Caught a few pics of the adults surface feeding
29518-Apple 6th Nov 2010.jpg
73525-Apple 6th Nov 2010 a.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

or catching a breath of fresh oxygen...do you know a good way to see if there is enough oxygen in your water column: snails will often hang at the water surface (((Just a thought)))

but in your case, I am just kidding for I know you are a great fish keeper (with slight differences in opinion (((smiles)))

by the way, cool pics

Alasse

by Alasse

Plenty of oxygen *LOL* There is powdered food on the water surface, they love it and everytime its added they come up to grab themselves some. Other than to lay eggs its the only time they come to the surface

snostorm

by snostorm

mad stuff thanks for the info!

Apple snails

19 posts • Page 2 of 2