Live Feeders?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Serial324556

Live Feeders?

by Serial324556

Alright so I have a freshwater Stonefish (Batrachoididae) aka:Freshwater lionfish, toadfish, frogfish.

He only eats live food. When I first got him i wanted him to clean out my baby cichlids which he did. He ate every last one of them even the one that was gettin kindv'e big he finally ate about a week ago.

But now I'm not sure what to do. I really don't like the idea of getting feeders from the lfs because they are a pretty grimy fish store to begin with. I don't want any diseases in my tank and my cichlids won't have actual swimming babies for atleast a couple more weeks.
Any ideas?

darkruby

by darkruby

Yes, I have a practical idea.
Buy a 10 gallon aquarium with a heater, good lighting, and a filter that has small holes at the end of the siphon to stop small fish from getting traped. Make this tank as nice as you want and put it in any place you like. You can now buy some guppies which are excelent breeders and put about 10 inside the 10 gallon tank. Hopefully soon enough you will have tiny babys inside the tank and then you can start your own breeding center.
Be careful though, the Mature guppies will eat there own babys and so a breeding net is a goos idea.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Yeah snowboss said I should try guppies. I have a 10 gallon in the basement i just have to convince snowboss to give me the filter back. We'll see, thanks!

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Another question after i start getting babies to put in the tank. (i'll be putting them in at night) but will my convicts kill them before my stonefish gets a chance to eat them?

darkruby

by darkruby

Covicts? Never heard of that term used, please explain to me what that is then maybe I will have some advice.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Convict Cichlids.

darkruby

by darkruby

Well, I would have to imagine so for most chiclids will eat live food and they are MORE THAN LIKELY faster than than the stone fish. But you shoould try it out and see for some of the guppies may swim infront of the Stone fish and then you wont have a problem. But to solve a problem like this means you have to figure out what is best for I dont know any real good solutions.
Hope it goes well.
Aquarist enthusiest Darkruby

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

gumbii

by gumbii

just get some silversides...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16851

i used to feed them to my saltwater lionfish, but when i got rid of the saltwater tank i feed them to the electric eels and aripaima gigas...

i'm pretty sure that your little stone fish would munch on these guys... just get some tongs or forcepts and wiggle the fish in front of it... trust me it will eat these guys...

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Do they usually sell those at lfs's? I will try them first maybe he will like them. I'd rather do that instead of buying a bunch of guppies although I just set up my 10 gallon to start cycling for them.
Hell if the silversides work i'll keep the 10 gallon setup and put something cool in it.

Is 10 gallon too small for doing anything saltwater? Like a reef tank maybe or maybe 1 nice sw fish?

Edit:
How long are the silversides? Are they kindv'e big or are they smaller?

Live Feeders?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3