Dipping toes into SW Blog

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

I will shotly have my 2.5ft SunSun tank spare, and am seriously debating going salt. So i'm gonna start collecting together the bits and pieces i'll need.

So have so far *L* Stay tuned

Tank
Canister filter
T5 lighting
Heater
Salt
d433d-2010-04-11.JPG

Alasse

by Alasse

I've decided i will try a SW tank *L* This tank should be empty today so i can clean it up ready for setting up SW.

It has a black background on it at present, thought i may change it to blue. Gonna tank the spray bar off the canister and just run the cone end. Will be ordering a couple of powerheads to get more movement.
I'll be adding some liverock, but mostly it will be fake. Not looking at doing anenomes or carals at this stage, maybe later. I'll be stocking it with an Antennata Lionfish.

Some of the things i can think of i still need to get:

Hydrometer
SW test kit
Skimmer
Nets
Fake rock
Live rock (to start it cycling and help keep tank constant)
Sand (live or not)
Different media for the canister

i'm sure theres other stuff *L*

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Traitor!! Ha ha, j/k. I'm really wanting to do a brackish tank, but not sure if i'll ever take the full plunge into marine. Good luck!

Alasse

by Alasse

Ok, now this tank will be empty tonight! Then i can fully clean it and start getting it ready for salt!

Tis somewhat exciting *L*

Alasse

by Alasse

Hope to pic up the coral sand in the next week. Once i get the new media for the canister i'll fill it and start getting some live rock.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

i wouldn't go with fake rock. If you're going to add rock use live rock. It not only acts as a biologic filter, but looks way cool when you get algae forming on it. Live rock can also contain cool stuff like feather dusters, sponges, algae.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

if i get my own place i'll prob start a 150+ gallon FOWLR tank, and get back into salt. I don't think i'll get into reef keeping again.

Alasse

by Alasse

I;ll be using some live rock, the fake should be ok though, i've seen it used in SW tanks before, it gets colonised by stuff eventually (no different to fake reefs. I also like the fake becase its not as heavy and i can put more of it in and stack it better. But anyway i'll see how it goes.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

LUCKY!

9 posts