Damaged Fin

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

HeidiG

Damaged Fin

by HeidiG

We noticed today that our female molly is swimming in spirals. It appears that her bottom fin is damaged and she is not able to swim normally. I'm not sure how long she will make it swimming like this.

We also found our first baby guppy (just one). The kids are very excited. After a trip to the pet store, the baby is safely in a side net and they recommended Melafix for the molly.

Any thoughts on using Melafix? It treats the entire tank and recommends removing the activated carbon (filters, correct?). Treatment is daily for 7 days. I'm concerned about removing the filters and the damage that would do to the good bacteria.

snostorm

by snostorm

you dont have to remove the whole filter, just anything with carbon in it. If you have a carbon sponge put it in a clean bucket with tank water while you treat the tank. If you have another tank send up a hospital one with no carbon and treat the Molly in that.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Melafix doesn't effect biological filtration, so there's no need to remove carbon or filter floss from your filters when treating your fish.

But if the carbon is brand new (that is, less than 6 weeks old), then you should take out the carbon or else the carbon will weaken the potency of the medicine.

If you can, move the fish into separate quarters, Melafix will take about 10 days before it helps to repair the damaged fin.

My only question is this, how damaged is the pelvic fin? Is it torn into two, completely off or just slightly damaged?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other thing, if the fish is moved into separate quarters, there is no need to have the water too deep (actually, the deeper the water the more pressure there is on the fish (water weight); so it is best to have a small tank, say 2 and a half gallons or even less, fill it half way, then dose appropriately.

HeidiG

by HeidiG

Other forums indicate that spiral swimming can be due to tank conditions or internal problems. I'm starting to wonder if there are internal issues vs. fin problems. I assumed it was a fin problem.

The tank tested fine I put the older filter back in, kept the new one out. We do not have a separate tank. Is it ok to medicate the entire tank?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

It's not a fin problem.....more than likely it's a disease/internal problem. Do you have a quarantine tank set-up? Your best bet is to separate that fish and medicate that single fish as needed. If all of your water readings are showing no signs of problems then I wouldn’t medicate then tank. I would do at least a 50% water change and check water parameters again. Hope this helps!

HeidiG

by HeidiG

Does the quarantine tank need a pump, etc.? We do not have an additional tank.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Yes I would definitely get at least a pump. I would get either a 5 or 10 gal quarantine tank set-up when you have time (you can find a little set-up heater/pump/etc. for around $20-30). It’s always good to have an additional tank set-up for situations like this one :)

Anyway, you could put the Molly in a breeder box/cage within your current tank and the just medicate the entire tank. It's not ideal but it can work. Do frequent water changes and monitor water parameters as necessary.

I've also heard (but never done it myself) that increasing the water temperature in your tank will help kill disease? That's just what I've heard and cannot say for sure that this is accurate, perhaps someone else can give you better info on that subject.

tekneb

by tekneb

Increasing the temperature can cure some infections (usually parasitic infections like ich) but not internal problems which are likely the cause of the mollies erratic behavior. I only think this because the fins on the top and bottom really only keep fish from rolling over (if I'm remembering fish my fish anatomy right :/) while the fins on the side keep it swimming straight, so the loss of the pelvic fin wouldn't cause the molly to spiral. However! the loss of the fin and the internal infection are likely being caused by the same thing, the fish being stressed. This can happen for many reasons but its usually a result of some of the water parameters being off. Make sure you check everything (PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates especially) so you can find the underlying cause of the problem. In the mean time, if you don't have a quarintine tank available, treating the whole tank should be ok so long as you don't have any scaleless fish (catfish, loaches, etc) which are extremely sensitive to medicines.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well the only bottom fin that probably causes spiraling is the pelvic fin, but you guys are absolutely correct, there is a secondary infection going on (reason for Melafix in the first place - it helps to cure the disease within the fish too)

but to be quite blunt on this situation: it does start with bouts of the problem and as the parasite(s) grows becomes more and more frequent until the fish cannot swim properly or eat or in any other way control itself. Eventually it dies due to internal damage or starvation. Melafix should help, but it is not an outright cure.

so prepare yourself for the worse...best way to go about is, purchase some clove oil from a drug store, place about 1 teaspoon into a small dish of water and drop the fish into it...best way to euthanize the fish

I hate to depart this sad news but, anytime I have a fish, frog begin to go sour, so to speak, instead of the disease or parasite spreading in the tank, I apply the clove oil treatment (in other words, I never hospitalize the fish or frog)...for instance, recently I had a bloated african dwarf frog, and I put her down with the clove oil, it's a painless way to put it down

Melafix may catch it in time, but I can't promise you it will survive...now if you want to possibly help it in the main tank, the heat treatment may help, but the fish may be too far gone

key is, you do not want the rest of the fish to catch whatever disease/parasite infected the molly...it's a sad fact in this hobby but I prefer to put down the fish/frog etc with a painless euthanize process (clove oil) than watch the fish suffer and infect others

just a thought....let us know what you decide to do

Damaged Fin

12 posts • Page 1 of 2