????Suggestions for a large filter????

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

So im going to be picking up a large tank soon. Ive learned a lot from the tanks i have now but it time to go big.

Im looking at a 110 gal tall.

What is the best method for filtration for something this size?

I was looking at some canister filters. What are your experiences with canister filters?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

depends on how much you wanna spend...lol....I think you're going to hear good and bad from a lot of people depending on their own experiences. I have a Eheim canister filter which I like. There is also Rena and Fluval which are used by a lot of people. If I could afford it, I would personally get the Fluval FX5. It's a beast and I've heard lots of positives from people who own it. It has a 925 GPH rating and is good up to 400 gal tank (I think). Anyways, if you're looking for a big filter to handle a big load/tank, that's what I would suggest. Just my 2 cents....

tekneb

by tekneb

All the filters erparzar mentioned are solid. In addition to those, I have a marineland canister filter right now and its been great. With all the small tanks you have lying around though it might pay to build your own filtrations system using a sump tank. Just an idea to look into.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

depends on what types of maintenance you are willing to perform...but before I go into that, rule of thumb: there is never enough filtration, so for a 110 gallon, you need at least 1,100 gph (gallons per hour) running at all times

canisters are great for two things, the types of filter media you like to use and that it frees the tank of gadgets (only the intakes/outtakes of tubes are placed in the tank plus on certain canister you can attach all types of tubing like water pumps/power pumps, spray bars...the only let down on canisters, in order to get the best job done, they can be much more expensive than Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel hang on back filters

canisters can be a much more tedious task to clean than hang on back types, and also a little more expensive dependent on the types of filter media used

but if you are planning to spend about $300 plus for a nice long 110 gallon (be sure it is long not heighth), what's another $100 to $200 for a great filtration unit

you will find in this hobby, outside of a good heater device, (and if you choose to go the artificial light, a lighting system), the filtration should be the number one focus in any tank...actually, outside of the size of the tank (long & wide not heighth), filtration should be the next most expensive item on the list of gadgets (((Just a thought)))

so do your research online on canisters, list 3 canisters you would like to purchase, then we will have much better advice for you, okay?

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

The tank i was looking at was a 110 tall. I can only go 48" long. So 110 tall is the most gallon for 48". Is this going to be a problem? Whats wrong with 110 tall?

Im looking to spend around 200 for the filter. Not to say that i couldnt get a second filter later. I just cant go over 200 right now.

I see a lot of rena and marinalnd canister filters around. I might go with one of those brands. And im assuming the largest model they have.

With a tank that size would it be good to have an undergravle filter too?

tinadno

by tinadno

I have a Fluval 405 on my 70 gallon and a Rena Xp2 on my 40 gallon. Both have been great filters and haven't given me any problems, but if I had to choose between them I'd probably go with the Fluval brand.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I'm glad this thread got started. I was getting close myself to starting one. I've read through all the replies. I've still not seen anyone that currently uses a sump? I can and will research others but I like this place and, conscientiously, respect some opinions on here more the others. Having said that, I currently own a 125 and would like to go with diy sump. I have a 40 gal. I got free on a trade. I'm sure it's easy. I just know that anything can be sold but what's it worth?

So my question is, has anyone used both and can verify differences in water quality? Clarity? Etc.?

And here's my thing also (yasher lol) How did my friend not have a filter? Has anyone done anything crazy like that?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

dream2reef, a while back, about a year ago, there was a newbie to this hobby that actually bought a 10 gallon tank, had about 10 fish in it, and guess what: no filter...anything is possible with newbies

Fluval brand is awesome for canisters...you may spend a bit for this filter, but if the money is at $200, you may find yourself at odds with a 110 gallon tank, most Fluval filtration systems for a 110 gallon will run at least $250 and these guys only run at about 350 gph (like the Fluval 405)...a Fluval FX5 Canister Filter runs online for about $360.00 plus the filter media, another good $50.00 that will give you 945 gph which is best with a 100 gallon (at least ten times the amount of the gallon, so say on a 110 gallon tank you should be running at 1,100 gph).....................so, you may want to look at other canister brands (but in my book as I see in others, Fluval is truly the best way to go about getting an awesome filtration system (((Just a thought)))

in regards to the long or width or heighth of a tank...when purchasing a tank the key is in the area, not how big the tank is in height or tall but in width and long...so say you purchase a tank that is 24 inches tall you get less area width wise unless you custom build it...best to go with 18 inches high and say 22 inches width and 4-6 feet long...fish prefer to swim the length of the tank rather than go from top to bottom, understand (unless one has a 600 gallon tank...yes some do, even on this forum, there is one member with a 1,600 gallon tank...then you may be able to add more heighth for the fish in the tank may require depth)

so always go long and width, more area to swim in plus you get to put more fish into the tank (ah ha!)...4 feet long is fine, but see if you can get more width than heighth

undergravel filter is not the best way to go...especially if you want to keep loaches, they can get up under the filter plus if the filter gets clogged somewhere along the line, you may have to breakdown the entire tank

canisters or hang on back filters are the best way to go...wet & dry or sumps are more for specialized tanks

so if you plan to get a canister filtration system, be ready to lay out at least $300-400 for a good system that will produce 1,100 gallon per hour for a 110 gallon tank..........hate to burst your bubble...of course you can always skimp on filtration and just get a canister system at 110 gph, but you will find in the long run your tank will run into serious problems (mini cycling all over the map)

maybe rethink things on the canister and go for a different set up...let us know what you decide, we are here to help (in this case, outside of the tank, filtration should be the 2nd most invested in item in the fish hobby) so please let us talk about this before you delve in and in the long run regret your decision

Alasse

by Alasse

I use a Fluval 405 on my 90gal and it does an awesome job! I have an Eheim on my 55gal and it is also an excellent filter

I hope to change all my tanks over to canisters, love them, easy to maintain, especially the Fluval

tinadno

by tinadno

If you go on Ebay you won't pay full price for a brand new Fluval fx5 if your trying to save some money.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2