api melafix advice does it kill the good bacteria

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

devina

by devina

I have a fish in my tank that either has fin rot or another fish has been nipping I was wondering if I can put melafix in my tank or will it kill off the benificial bacteria

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Well as anyone here knows I never use melafix. I use stresscoat I dont have to worry about anything. I dont even put the full dose in and see great results much faster then on their own.

Alasse

by Alasse

I'm not familiar with melafix to know sorry. I havent had anything nasty for that long i dont even own any 'fix' type chemicals.
Clean fresh water and some salt will cure many freshwater fish ills.

tekneb

by tekneb

I use both melafix and stresscoat. Melafix works great on repairing fins, but will not kill a bacteria that might be causing fin rot. As such, it will not cure your fish (just help it along after the infection is over) but it also wont kill your beneficial bacteria. Stresscoat is awesome as well, it helps give fish back the slimecoat that they might lose due to handling or stress or a nasty infection. It also removes chlorine and other harmful water additives.

snostorm

by snostorm

Melafix is a general natural antiseptic you put in the water after removing any activated carbon, it can aid in fin repair if fin rot is present (I've used it, it worked)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

anytime a problem arises in the tank, just raise the temperature to around 89, drop the water level about 2 inches (to create more surface agitation therefore more oxygen (for warmer water will give the tank less oxygen) and place aquarium salt (doses depend on the size of the tank, say on average, on a 55 gallon tank, 8 tablespoons of aquarium salt after each water change) and leave it this way for about 10 days...it will cure the tank of any ailment...this is the best way, all natural

won't work for goldfish or other fish which need colder water

Alasse

by Alasse

Goldfish can be kept at higher temps, specially fancy goldies. Mine in summer often have tank temps in the high 20's low 30's, and suffer no probs. I do though add an airstone when its really high to improve oxygen levels

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

65-75 degrees is the average temperature for goldfish, of course they can get much colder than this (as you have attested to)...but to cure a tank of illness, raising the temperature slowly up to 89 degrees and holding it steady like that for at least 10 days, 14 days to be certain is asking a bit much for a goldfish...I am sure it may be done with goldfish, though I am also certain the goldfish are stressed

89 degrees is pretty warm...reason one should lower the water surface to there will be water surface agitation (oxygen)

of course a goldfish can possibly deal with a temp of 89 for a couple of days, but for 10 to 14 days, steady at that temp, I must beg to differ...but then again, if the tank is suffering from serious illness, it may be worth the risk of raising the temp in a goldfish tank and hope all the goldfish will survive the 10-14 days...if they do, then slowly drop it back down to 65-75 or lower, and at least the tank is cured of any illness naturally

stormer0719

by stormer0719

it doesn't harm your beneficial bacterias... it works well.....and don't tell yasherkoach... but its natural aswell. it comes from tea trees... the thing is 99% water 1 % melaleuca...

the raising the temp thing kills ich.... ich being ....i guess i dont know for sure but im going to go out on a limb and say the #1 fish disease just about everyone runs into, THANK YOU PEtsmart and petco... ^^

Freash water is best way to keep your fish healthy. fish love it, just make sure u treat the water and it has 0 negative effects. changing water is 100% good thing for fish :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

5%-30% aloe vera gel by volume,up to 7.5g/l carboxymethyl celluse,about 1.3 to 25g/l polyvinylprrolidone,about 12.5 to about 60g/l sodium thiosulfate.up to 2g/l elthylenediainetetraacetic acid,about 0.3 to about 1g/l tris(htdroxymethhyl)aminomethane,and about 1.3 to about 4g/l diazolidinyl urea.......................are the ingredients in Stresscoat. Natural?

exactly, don't tell me (((smiles)))

10 posts