135 gallon on carpet concrete on iron metal stand shaking

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

markthecat

by markthecat

hi everybody its been a while since i been on here but i do have an important Q? I HAVE A 135 GALLON AQUARIUM 72X18X24 STANDARD SIZE IT SITS ON AN IRON METAL STAND ON A FLOOR THICK CARPET OVER CONCRETE THE FLOOR IS LEVEL BUT I CAN COME BY AND SHAKE IT AND IT WILL SHAKE SO I KNOW ITS NOT STEADY IFEEL LIKE IF I SHAKE IT HARD ENOUGH IT FALL OVER.
I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD PUT 3/4 INCH PLY BOARD UNDER IT TO LEVEL IT TO KEEP IT FROM SHAKING.
WOUL THIS WORK PLEASE SOME ONE REPLY!

Alasse

by Alasse

I put a solid core door under my 5ft for the same reason, solved a lot of the movement, but then my stand was wooden.

Seeing you have a metal stand i would be looking at it and bracing it to stop movement

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

you can always set the tank on cinder blocks, drape the cinder blocks with a cloth, then place the tank upon it....................if cinder blocks can hold up a house just think what they will do for a fish tank that weighs about 1,500-2,000 pounds?

someday I plan to get a 220 gallon tank...cinder blocks will be its base

just a thought
Last edited by yasherkoach on Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alasse

by Alasse

I've seen many tanks using cinder blocks as the stand, some paint them, looks awesome and as solid as!

When i move to my own place my fish room will utilise this method, extremely stable and cheap

markthecat

by markthecat

hey thanks guys that sounds like a good ideal there r some things i can do with the cinder blocks to make the stand look good but i would put some "3/8" styro foam under the bottom of the tank just for cushion i will post my 135 gallon african cichlid tank when i get a chance.
thanks again fish buddies!

Alasse

by Alasse

I'd personally put a board then foam then the tank

6 posts