How do I get more oxygen in my tank or is it something else?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

atang09

by atang09

I have 2 goldfish and a 10 gal. tank. It seems that the oxygen levels are low because it looks like the fish are being pulled up to the top of the tank, and one of them started floating upside down and occasionally swims around some, but then runs out of energy again? the other one stays active and keeps itself down, when ever it starts floating up it pushes itself back down and continues to swim. I checked the pH levels, and it they were perfect for our type of goldfish, so what could be happening, and how can i fix that? Also, I do not replace the water often so should I do that? I also have another tank i could temporarily put them in but it has weird algae growing in it. What should I do?

Alasse

by Alasse

Sounds more like the goldies have a swim bladder problem, or they could be constipated causing a gas build up in their bellies (makes them float). I would stop feeding normal food for a few days, cook some peas and break bite sized bits off and feed them that.
If you feed a flake they may also be gulping air when they feed at the surface, i tend to wet my flakes prior to putting into the tank so the sink quiker to alleviate that problem.

If you want more oxygen in the tank you need to agitate the surface, either with the filter or use a bubble wand type thing :)

Goldies are filty water producers, so try to do a water change at least fortnightly, preferably weekly in that sized tank.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

fortnightly? lol I hate to hear of sick fish. This is a problem I've never delt with but Yea at least weekly changes with the goldfish.

Alasse

by Alasse

Yes fortnightly, you have an issue? I do monthly in all of mine, except the goldie tank which i do fortnightly. I have healthy fish and no problems.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

thing about goldfish is, they need water temperatures between 65 to 75, and the colder the water the more oxygen remains in the water column...it is true, surface agitation will create more oxygen, but beings these fish are goldfish, the temperature alone should retain enough oxygen in the tank

sounds like a swim bladder problem...anytime fish swim upside down, it means the fish has a swim bladder problem

causes of this disease:

congenitally deformed bladder
cancer or tuberculosis in organs adjacent to the swim bladder
constipation
poor nutrition
chilling or rapid fluctuations in temperature
serious parasitic infestation
serious bacterial infestation

If you have eliminated other causes, make sure you are feeding the right food and make sure the fish is not constipated. Give it live food for awhile to ensure it is getting enough roughage. Also, check the temperature for your fish's requirements and keep the temperature stable.

Fish can control their position in the water with the swim bladder, an organ that fills with or expels air to affect flotation. Swim bladder related problems can lead to malfunction of the swim bladder so that the fish can no longer control its flotation and orientation, or can do so only with considerable effort. Goldfish are prone to constipation, and swim bladder problems will become much worse when the fish is constipated. Water temperature can also affect the operation of the swim bladder. Swim bladder problems can also be caused by internal growths and tumours or by bacterial infections. Most swim bladder problems are not preventable, however, feeding fancy goldfish a good diet will prevent constipation and associated swim bladder problems. A mix of prepared and frozen foods, particularly with frozen brine shrimp as a supplement, is best.

Best treatment:

Blocked intestines can and will interfere with the function of the swim bladder. If this is the case, a cure is easy to effect. First check your water. If you are not using marine salt, gradually add it to the tank over a twelve hour period (addition of one tablespoon per five gallons does wonders). Fast the fish for 4 days. Don't worry a hungry fish is better than a dead one! This will enable the fish to clear itself out, and normal function of the swim bladder should return. After the fourth day, resume feeding with live or frozen brine shrimp. Peas will also help clean out the intestines.

let us know how it goes

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Just never heard that word before, fortnightly? sorry for being dumb in this forum

Alasse

by Alasse

I'm sorry d2r, i misunderstood, i thought you were having a go at me for doing it that way, not that you didnt know the word itself.

Fortnightly means every 2 weeks.

Back to the original poster:

How big are the goldies?

If they are still small 20gal is plenty big enough for a while, but they will need an upgrade at some time.
I have 6 fantails in a 50gal tank now. 4 of them originally started in a 8gal tank due to their original teeny size.

I dont have airstones in my goldie tank, i do however have live plants which help with oxygenation and keeping the water in good nick :)

7 posts