New tank help.

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ewatson249

New tank help.

by ewatson249

Hi everyone,

Im 11 days into this new fish tank hobby. Fancied it for a while and finally made the jump into it a few weeks back. Ive researched the whole internet for weeks before i got my first tank (63 litre fluval Rekord 600 from memory) and got straight into the cycling period. I didnt choose the fishless cycling as it sounded less for beginners so i started with 3 white cloud minnows. I was all prepared for waiting an impatient 4-6-8 weeks for the process to complete but after only a week of having fish in the tank my results already appear to be falling towards completion! Now i am fully aware not to rush things and i wont be adding anymore fish untill ammonia and No2 hit 0 but was very supprised to see No3 present in large amount after only one week! I did add plants early on which may have seeded the tank slightly??? anyone with any views on this would be great to hear from you. Results below:

26/9- Set up tank.
27/9- added small pinch of flake food to start ammonia build up. (Ammonia 0, No2 0, No3 0, PH 8.0, Temp 21c)
28/9- added small pinch of flake food to start ammonia build up. (Ammonia 0, No2 0, No3 0, Temp 21c)
29/9- added 3 White cloud Minnows. Increased temp to help cycle. (Ammonia 0, No2 0, Temp 26c)
30/9- Small pinch of flake daily. (Ammonia 0.25, No2 0, Temp 26c)
1/10- (Ammonia 0.25, No2 0, Temp 26c)
2/10- (Ammonia 0.25/0.5, No2 0, Temp 26c)
3/10- (Ammonia 0.5, No2 0, Temp 26c)
4/10- Missed tests (Bad Boy!)
5/10- (Ammonia 0.25, No2 0.25, No3 20ppm, Temp 26c)

It all just seems like its going in the right direction much too fast from what i have read and what i was expecting!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Great job with doing your homework first! The whiteclouds are a very hardy fish and should do fine while the tank is still cycling. I would continue doing what your doing. I also wouldn't add any more fish for at least a week or two. Or until you can get a good consistant water reading for more than one day with no ammonia readings. Your headed in the right direction. Keep it up!

ewatson249

by ewatson249

I know i need to wait but ive got another 12 wcmm's in a half barrel outside and its getting way too cold for them! Being outside all summer with natural food has given them amazing colours though. They are nearly as bright as neons! Luckily we are going through a mild patch so ill keep one eye on the temperatures outside till i have to act.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yea I agree I'd wait until it's a constant reading. I'm sure if you stay up on your test you'll see a flucuation. Congrats on coming back you've missed tons of fish stories but I'm sure there will be more to come.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

yes wait too...as of 10/5, your tank is actually just beginning to cycle...a rise in nitrite and nitrate is just starting...one week ago, readings were all 0, now on 10/5 your nitrite is rising so is the nitrate, this means the tank is actually just beginning its cycle...I'd give it a good 3 weeks more, once the ammonia and nitrite is steady 0 and nitrates does not rise above 30-35 ppm for one week, it is cycled

let us know how it goes...maybe every week you can give us the readings, then we'll help or guide you through

New tank help.

5 posts