how can i tell if my molly has droopsy? HELP!!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

i have some mollys and one of them is starting to get a bigger chest im not shure if it is fat or what because i feed them alot he swims around and stuff but i am scared if he does have it what should i do please help

tekneb

by tekneb

If you can, look at your fish from the top. If his scales are sticking out from his body (it'll look similar to a pine cone), it is dropsy without a doubt. Unfortunately, if he does have dropsy, there is little you can do, and he is going to die. I had a molly succumb to dropsy once a few years ago and it is a pretty nasty way to go. The good news is that dropsy is usually not contagious, so you wont have to worry about other fish catching it. However, dropsy usually occurs when their is an underlying problem with the water parameters (high ammonia, nitrites, etc) so you should check all your levels and make changes accordingly.

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

o ok thx no his belly has just gotton big but i ill wait and see i fed him some peas thow hope that can help my little guy

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

he is starting to eat but i am still worried

tekneb

by tekneb

Are you sure it's a he and not a pregnant she?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

exactly tek, it could be pregnant...mollys are livebearer (free swimming fry not eggs), it could be that the fish is pregnant...again, as I've said it countless times on this forum, if the fish does not eat and stops swimming, it is an ill fish...if the fish eats and continues to swim about (except at night when it "sleeps"), then it is fine, and probably pregnant in this case

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

thanks he eats and swims but it is a male

7 posts