are my mollies breeding

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lilcrum98

are my mollies breeding

by lilcrum98

i have some mollys one molly is chaseing the other one a is puting its mouth in the other ones area in not shure they started to do that when i put them in the tank now to day they are fine

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

are they opposite sex i had guppies wayyyyy back when and a male would always be chasing trying to put his gonopodium (willy) inside here its practically rape i presume its the same fore mollies too as similar anatomy thats y 1 male to 2-3 female is advised they pester till the female gives up i used to see my male guppie pointing it towards gouramis an my red tailed black shark but the later was wise and chased it for about ten mins lol

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

well im not shure if it is a male or female i know the one chasing the other one is a male but i cant tell the other one i think it is a male to i dont know he started chasing it agin just now

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

fish mating consists usually as a chase unless they've paired up for months...it can be a bit exhausting for the female, this is the reason it is good to have more females to one male, that way, the male gets more tired out or gives the females breaks as it goes from one to the other, understand?

key to mollies is, these fish are livebearers, so you will wind up with plenty free swimming fry the moment she does give birth...she will probably eat some of them, but unless you have a predator to eat the rest like an african dwarf frog or possibly other fish, you will wind up with many fry which will turn to adults if they can find secure coverage for protection

thing about mollies is, I hope you add abundant amount of aquarium salt to the water...thing about salt is it does not evaporate, the only way it leaves the tank is through water changes...unsure of the other fish in your tank and their sensitivities to salt...the upside of salt is that it helps most fish with current or potential stress

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

thanks yeah i got this salt called aquarium salt and it said it helps them with there color but it is for freshwater fish also i have six mollys and most of them look like males but i know one of them is a female but he keeps on jest chaseing this on i think it is a male thow but it keeps hiding and stays in a corner i just got 3 mollies yeterday im not shur if it is trying to bully him or not

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

thanks yeah i got this salt called aquarium salt and it said it helps them with there color but it is for freshwater fish also i have six mollys and most of them look like males but i know one of them is a female but he keeps on jest chaseing this on i think it is a male thow but it keeps hiding and stays in a corner i just got 3 mollies yeterday im not shur if it is trying to bully him or not

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if you have 1 female to several males, the female will be very stressed and eventually she will get pregnant...the problem with such a ratio is the female can get so stressed that if there is any outbreak of disease or what have you in the tank, she will have a less likely chance of surviving it

either you need to put more female mollies into the tank (I advise against this, because unless you have a huge tank like over 125 gallon minimum, you will wind up with over 100 mollies in 90 days) or you can put a lot of secure places in the tank (caves/ledges or live plants) so the female can seek coverage for awhile as to hide from the chase

but yes, with many to one female, she will be very stressed...it's a natural instinct for males to gang up on one female (reason, once again, for more females to one male)...you can always take the males back to the store and get more females

let us know how it goes/what you decide on

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

well it looks like the male is chasing a male he will chase him down to the corner then go away is it because it is a new fish in the tank

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

yeah they are both males it looks like

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

what does that mean if two males are chaseing each other

are my mollies breeding

12 posts • Page 1 of 2