Hi satl or freshwater ???????

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

milky648

by milky648

hello i have a 125 gallon freshwater tank, i have 7 yellow africans 2 silver dollars 1 texas child and 2 baby convicts in ther that they havent eaten i dont know what to do the tank is boring dont know if i sould change it to salt water or do comuity tank or get a better selection of childs fish. what would it take to change it to slat water? i could use ppl idea please thanks milky

nicholas542

by nicholas542

if you want a salt tank be ready to spend lots of money really quick. Checking you're water parameters daily. Oh yeah and spending lots of money

milky648

by milky648

ya i lookt into it they said its goona cost me like 1500$ to cange my 125 gallon tank to salt im not gonna do it now i just dont know what to do with the fish its so boring i have 7 yellow lab africans 2 sliver dollars 1 texas chilid and 2 baby convicts , id like to keep my texas chilid and my silverdoolars ther ok toghter what you guys think help please

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Shoot I'd stick with cichlids. You want a live tank overstock it fish will never stop moving.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

yellow lab are semi-aggressive, 5 inch at adulthood

silver dollar are peaceful, 6 inch at adulthood

texas cichlid is aggressive, 12 inch at adulthood

baby convict (exact type not listed, so on average:) semi-aggressive, 5 inch at adulthood

to be quite honest, your tank should be at least 200 gallons...for just one texas cichlid a tank should be 75 gallons, with 2, 125 gallons, with all your fish, at least 200, optimally: 250 gallon tank (long and wide)

but even if you have a 250 gallon long and wide tank, the fish you have right now, would eventually, upon reaching adulthood, become a hotbed of gang warfare (especially the 2 silver dollars...a bedtime snack)

with a texas cichlid, this fish alone rules out a community tank...they are all freshwater fish, so it rules out a marine or saltwater...plus a texas cichlid will completely rid your tank in a matter of weeks of all live plants...as for a species tank, beings a silver dollar is a peacful fish, this rules out this type of tank set-up...so what do you really have to work with?

first I must say, this is the reason one must research before they get carried away with cute little fishies on impulsive glance at a pet shop...that said:

texas cichlid must have a tank on their own, for 2 - 125 gallon, period.

yellow lab and baby convicts (would like to know the specific type you have, would help) may get along if in at least a 75 gallon tank with many caves/ledges for territorial bases

silver dollars need to be placed in a community tank with similar fish

so if you can get 2 tanks according to the specifications I listed........or just trade all the fish but the silver dollars in, and keep the silver dollars and get a few other fish that will create a community tank, you'll be fine

or just keep the 1 texas cichlid buy another and keep those two ONLY in the 125 gallon tank you have, trade back the other fish for another filter system or purchase a 55 gallon for the yellow labs...and a 30 gallon for the silver dollars

outside of all this, you got a really nice set up (((smiles)))

milky648

by milky648

I know what ur saying i have hade this silver dollars for 5 years with the tesxas 4 years and they seem to be fine im always watching they dont fight the texas leave them be and dosent dig so mutch . The 7 labs one is a mom and 6 babys i still have ther alsmost her size so ur sayng i havto get rid of them i can see its to mutch . I am saprized the 2 baby ocnvicts are still there ther not even 1inch yet a gf hade lots of covnict hybrids i said put them in my tank thell get eaten she gave me 15, tow of them are still there, she hade about 100 of hybrids convict and i dont know what eles and she cant sell them.Boy ok ur making it hard but, then why do pet soteres tell me i can put yellow lab with my texas i mean they do fine so far they been oghter for 2 years well the mom yellow lab, babys bevore the summer. But like i said texas and silver dollars have been toghter for 4 years... but i will do that ill think about what ill do :)

nicholas542

by nicholas542

after maintaining a saltwater tank for a couple years i would never go back to it. Too much time and money consumption over time. If I set up another tank I'm going with a bigg cichlid tank atleast 150-200 gallons

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

milky, if the fish are getting along, why break up a good thing? but don't be surprised when the 2 baby convicts mature, you may have serious trouble

but for the time being, if it's working, then leave it alone

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I like the idea of getting rid of everything but the silver dollars. Silver dollars are awesome fish and really should be kept in a school. I think nine or so in a 125 gallon would be stunning.

milky648

by milky648

well ill leave it be but the convicts if they get bigger i am gonna take them out bc thoes fish have been toghter with no problems like i said , but i do feed them everyday bc africans need to eat everyday some one hase toled me couse i usto feed mon wed fri nothing for weekends thats what the pet store toled me till someone gave me other infos on africans.but i do keep a close eye on the tank if things go wrong then illl just keep the silverdoolars but theyve been toghter for so long im even saprised.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2