Pea's for fish?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

Pea's for fish?

by mzhantsche

So Ive herd giving peas to fish can help their digestive system. Is this true? I have a can of peas. Will that work? If anyone has done this before please share. Thanks

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I give peas every week, twice a week.

The way you must give the peas is you must take about 25 peas (dependent on how many fish are in the tank), squish out the pulp from the shell (only on very large fish will the fish take the whole pea), and just plop it into the tank - the fish will go wild

very good for disgestive systems, cleans the tracts out...also a very good source of vitamin c...and most of all, it is all natural

snostorm

by snostorm

om nom nom

I did this the other day, they loved it... just not the piece if corn I put in haha

jdak702

by jdak702

Yes, I use them as well. It's funny watching my puffer. Looks like he is bobbing fir apples:)

kissyourgoldfish

by kissyourgoldfish

I would say though, not to use canned peas... they are kept in liquid (and salt) and the can... there's just a lot of chance that they aren't good for the fish after being kept like that... best bet would be thaw some frozen peas... I've even heard that you should put a couple frozen peas in a little bit of water (not even covering them) and microwave for a quick couple seconds to thaw... haven't tried myself, but plan to when remember to finally get some peas ;-)

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Well i used canned peas last night. Worked fine. The can was a no salt added peas. I don't know if that made the difference. But i will go with frozen from now on. Any other fruit or veggies that go well in a tank with barbs and loachs?

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

can i give peas to my guppys and my other small fish

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Thanks what i have to my guppy's last night. Just squeeze the skin off off them so they can eat the meaty part. Good for digestive system.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Just gave this a try in my goldfish tank. Both the goldfish and the zebra danio loved it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

canned peas without salt is fine as well as frozen kind, key is, to get the skin off so only the pulp is plopped into the tank

good to see fine results, most fish are omnivores...peas are an excellent source of vitamin c let alone it helps to clean their digestive system out which helps to prevent swim bladder disorder

I sometimes will take extremely small pieces of turkey or chiken, mash a piece between my forefinger and thumb over the tank and drop the itsy bitsy pieces into the tank, fish love it...try to stay away from sardines (even though the fish like it very much, the oils naturally in the fish is way too rich for the fish)

the key to feeding different types of foods this way is to make sure that the pieces are very small unless you have huge fish also it helps so all the fish can get a piece and that if the piece is too large it can lodge itself in a crack of rockwork etc and if the piece is too big it will rot (though fish may peck at it) it may wreck havoc with ammonia levels (of course there must be large pieces of meat or whatnot leftover in the tank)

but still, it look like there are very good results...your fish thank you very much for the peas

Pea's for fish?

10 posts