Bichir Question

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

best way to put down a fish is to buy some clove oil (can be picked up in a pharmacy, has a red cross on the very tiny brown bottle - really for toothaches)

depending on the size of the fish, place from a teaspoon to a couple tablespoons of the clove oil in the container and fill it up with tank water. Place the fish in the conatiner. It will struggle. BUt after a few seconds, the clove will literally create an anesthesia effect on the fish or put it to sleep to the point that it will die while under such a calming effect.

Any fish I have had that were too worse off, I would put them down this way. I never use hospital tanks. After the ill fish is out of the tank, as a precaution, I will raise the main tank water to about 86 degrees placing about 8 tablespoons of aquarium salt in the tank every 4 days for two weeks (dependent on how big the tank is) in order to kill off any ich, bacteria, parasite etc that may remain behind after the ill fish is taken out.

a fish in a freezer can work...but you will find clove oil is best (it's like putting a human down via euthanizing)

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

I put him in the freezer last night. Sorry yasher..i didnt read ur post till it was too late. Thanks for all your help everyone. You prevented a fish from suffering.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

:(
Sorry.
You did the right thing tho because he will not suffer.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Its ok. I know its terrible but im going to go to the fish store and see if they have any more left. He was so cool. Im going to give the next guy a tank of his own.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

There is nothing wrong with trying again.
I am sure this one will do AOK.
Let me know if you get one.
PS - I buy frozen shrimp for mine... you know, shrimp cocktail that you eat....
He eats one whole.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Yea i was definitely hoping he would get to that size.

Bichir Question

16 posts • Page 2 of 2