Bichir Question

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

Bichir Question

by mzhantsche

One of my Bichirs developed a swollen belly and has his gills sticking out of his body. They are bright red. Acting really lethargic. I don’t think he has much time left. He’s in a tank with guppies. They have babies and I think he keep eating them. I was thinking that he night have ate too many and they are stuck????? I don’t know. Any ideas?

tekneb

by tekneb

A swollen belly is usually dropsy, an internal infection which is usually incurable. Look at your bichir from a top view if you can. If the scales around the swollen area are sticking out (it'll have a similar look to that of a pine cone) it's definitely dropsy. Both red gills and dropsy are a sign that your water parameters are really messed up, You might want to seriously rethink your strategy concerning keeping these fish.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

All my other fish are doing fine. When i do my water test everything come up in the normal range. Could it be that these guppies keep having babies and adding too many fish? I know Alassie will have something to say to me.

AquamanCA

by AquamanCA

I'd concur with tekneb's diagnosis. Unfortunately it does sound like dropsy. If you can upload a pic perhaps we can better diagnose the condition. Bad thing about dropsy is that it is almost always fatal. By the time the symptoms manifest themselves it is most often too late. I wish I had better news for you. Sadly euthanasia is often the only course of action, but only you can decide that...its a difficult decision.

Drospy is a bacterial infection which is usually brought on by poor water quality, but I have seen fish contract the disease when the water was perfect.

Whatever you do you must quarantine the fish as soon as possible. The swollen belly is an indicator that he is suffering from renal failure and is unable to expel excessive fluids.

In a "hospital" tank try treating with chloromycetin or tetracycline at the rate of one 250mg capsule to 25grams of food. Add it to his food so he absorbs it rather than treating the water. You might also add 1tsp of epsom salt to each gallon of water. Do not use aquarium salt as this will cause him to retain fluid. The epsom salt actually will help to draw the excessive fluids out of him. As a last resort, which you are probably at already, treat the water with the antibiotic at a rate of 30-35mg to each gallon.

I sincerely wish you the best. Drospy is a horrible disease and I hate seeing any fish with this condition.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Ok hears some pics. Kinda hard to see the belly. So just one fish can acquire dropsy while the rest of the tank is fine? I have a 30 gal filter on a 10 gal tank. Water looks clean and test perfect. I believe you guys im just kinda of trying to figure out the whole deal.
37e30-1.JPG
a6d34-2.JPG

tekneb

by tekneb

From what I've read about dropsy, since it's pretty much an internal infection, it is very hard, though not impossible, for other fish to catch it. When I first started in the hobby about a decade ago, I had one Mollie that caught and died from dropsy and the rest of the tank lived on for years afterwords. Another possibility is that although I don't know much about bichirs, guppies are a pretty hardy fish, so the bichir might just succumb more easily to stress or poor water quality.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I have a bichir, and I can tell you from experience, that they can wipe out a whole tank full of guppies every day.
The fish will only eat when it wants too, and does not gorge itself to sickness.
I am sorry to hear about your fish.
Here is something to remember and think about in the future.
You don't want to a house a bichir in a tank of guppies.
Because, first off.. a bichir is going to eat everything and anything that he can fit into his mouth.
Second off, it is not a good idea to have a bichir eat fish because if a guppy, or feeder fish is sick, it could make your bichir sick.
Third off, My big ass bichir is about ten inches long, 3 years old... and is a big giant mean ass.
He is housed with my musk turtle, and I will tell you, that my turtle is afraid of him.
You want him.. COME GET HIM.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Nice stingray. Big mean Bichir is what im going for. I have two right now. A standard Dinosaur bichir and this spotted bichir (i dont know the actual names for either fish). I really dont care too much about my dino bichir. Those guys are a dime a dozen at fish stores but this spotted guy is hard to find. Im transferring over a 20 gal tank in a few weeks. If this guy dies i hope they have a few more like him at the fish store. Ill put a single bichir in a 20 gal. long until he outgrows it.

I was kinda hoping he would eat the guppy's. hahahah

Thanks for your help guys. It really dosent look good for this guy. :(

AquamanCA

by AquamanCA

Sorry, my comment about quarantining him was not to imply that dropsy is contagious. Dropsy is a bacterial infection.

My suggestion to quarantine him was so that he could both be treated immediately and to also give him a tank that would be quiet as he would be alone with less stress. When dropsy gets to the point where his belly is distended he would be in a lot of pain. Providing him with a quiet place can make his final days a little easier for him.

mzhantsche, dropsy is an absolutely horrible condition for the fish to go through. I'm sorry that both of you are going through this.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

i can't do it, but I was told that putting a fish in a freezer in a suitable water bowl is the most humane way to
have your fish pass away peacefully.
As the water gets colder, your fish will pass away.
Good luck.

Bichir Question

16 posts • Page 1 of 2