Jack Dempsey with Yellow Lab?

28 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Wow you have quit the info. Thanks for that but I like to watch nature and pecking orders and whatnot. I know bout all that I read and read about tankmates. So having that said, that fish was black in the store with blue lines like the auratus I also that he was a johanni. That's why hes the smallest cichlid of the bunch. Then I got the bigger one kinda accidentally. They both turned white. Maybe from stress? don't seem to be. Maybe when not stressed in the store they are. I've noticed different colourations on different fish from store to home. I know they are happier with hiding places then w/o. typically you don't see this in a petstore. Both fish seem happy. I don't think they've drew any property lines yet only lil scuffles. I read peacocks can coexist. I want to watch how the tanks order is made for further goals in the hobby. Again I'm not here to have a pretty tank I want to make money so I need to learn some things about some stuff. I love cichlids even though everyones doin it. I want to make the books lie to ppl. I want a makobe island cichlid noone even knows what I'm talking about at the LFS imagine that. I do pay attention close to my fish. As soon as I notice anything I'll just tear up my tank and redo it seems to work for most. Just a fun trial and error thing. plus I love to keep fish that cant be kept together go figure my fish hate me I'm sure.

EazyE

by EazyE

I'm only trying to save you the time brother. If you're looking to make money in freshwater you're better off with species only tanks you can easily monitor. The Geophagus I mentioned are irresistible to hobbyists and Local Fish Stores ( LFS ). You can make money in Mbuna ( Demasoni are highly prized ), and peacocks ( many, many beautiful strains ). The stock you have though, will not net you much profit. The LFS I know won't take the Mbuna you keep, and JD's are easy to come by with the exception of the Electric Blue Dempsey. Look into the numbers... you need a solid stock if you plan to profit.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

geophagus I love. They look like they should be british all prime and proper like. I wanted to put some in here but figured with their mild temper they'd be first to go. Peacocks are nice and are thin stocked at LFS around here. I can't get the maingano to get back to his black tanks cycled and all parameters met? I'm clueless on this one You may have a theory. I've read they change but havent dug enough to find out why.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

first off, JD are South American Cichlids and require a lower ph, as others said, they will get big and eventually eat the others (yellow lab). Also the yellow labs are African and require a completly different parameters and ph. It can technically be done (at least for a little bit) but eventually all hell will break lose. Good luck with everything.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

These fish aren't wild caught. The JD is 8 in already. all the others are 5 and 6 smallest at 3

esparzar1

by esparzar1

It's good that the africans are already bigger, however harmony won't last much longer. Like I said, sooner or later all hell will break lose in that tank. I would try to fix the problem before it gets outta hand. You want to keep your Africans in a ph range of 7.8-8.2 while the JD need to be in a lower ph 7.0-7.5. Having both species in different parameters will only hurt them, it won't kill them but at the same time, it's not the optimal conditions that those fish need. I've seen only very mild sucess with mixing SA Cichlids with African Cichlids. So mix at your own risk!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Well I have money to replace em. It's already been an expensive learning curve. May as well throw some more down the drain. No pun intended lol. I want to put an angel or two in there lol.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

So after reading this site http://www.mit.edu/~lxs/cichlids/bumblebee.html I decided I may want to trade out the bumblebee crabro. Think I want to keep most of my fish. He's about 3rd in line in size. Even though I just love his pattern.
9230d-round 1 cichlid 002.jpg

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Crabro can be very vicious fish. He will end up taking over the entire tank and killing most (if not all) of your other fish. Good luck with everything, seems like you have some very aggressive fish in your tank. Hopefully you get everything figured out. At least your asking questions and being smart about it. Trust me, I've made plenty of mistakes myself when it comes to fish keeping. It's a never ending process. If you're really interested in keeping African cichlids, check out http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=9 this is a excellent site and forum for keeping mbuna cichlids (what you have)

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Well I want to keep the central and makobe island cichlids. Hard to find some of them.

Jack Dempsey with Yellow Lab?

28 posts • Page 2 of 3