Tank Cleaning

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

neontank

Tank Cleaning

by neontank

My fish tank is very cloudy and iam not sure how to fix that I really want crystal clear water but it is very hard to clear it up, Any ideas on how to clear it up thanks.

FYI: i have gravel on the bottom live plants and a peice of driftwood in my tank as well as my 12 fish

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Is your tank new? Test for ammonia, It could be a free floating Bacteria bloom,If it is it will clear up in time. Or it could be debris or dust from the gravel, that can be removed by doing weekly water changes and using flocculants like crystal clear. Dont do water changes if there is ammonia present,(unless its really excessive and unsafe for your fish) because you will just prolonge the bacteria bloom. Also driftwood will color the water like iced tea, but after a while and a few water changes the water will clear. Maybe if you describe the cloudiness(hazy white, green, brown cloudy) you will get a better answer. hope this helps oh and test your ammonia

neontank

by neontank

Thanks my tank is almost a month old and i have been doing water changes every week and have been changing about 25% of the water

EazyE

by EazyE

If it's a newly set up tank and the cloudiness is whitish color it is a normal byproduct of the cycle; a bacterial bloom. This will go away on it's own over time but means your tank params are probably dangerous to fish and inverts right now. Test your water for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites should measure 0, and nitrates should be somewhat measurable depending on the plant density and amount of nutrients they take up. I would expect more than 10ppm but less than 30ppm for a non planted tank.
If it is a green bloom it is algae and usually is a sign that you have a nutrient imbalance coupled with high lighting. Cut back on lighting or add fast growing plants ( anacharis, hornwort ), until system stabilizes.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

welcome aboard EazyE - so far I have read your responses, you are very informative

also I agree with EazyE...most likely it is whitish cloudy water which will clear up on its own. It is not harmful by any means to the fish, it may appear unappealing to the human eye, but to a fish's point of view, need not worry.

A month old tank, it is still probably going through the later stages of cycling. Could you provide current tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and if you have it phosphate; also provide the temperature...hopefully you are using liquid tests (more accurate)

once you give me/us those readings, we can inform you much more accurately on exactly what is going on in your tank

neontank

by neontank

The cloudynes is a whitish coulor so i think it is that my tank is still cycling through the stages as it is still a pretty new tank thank you very much for all your help guys.

Thanks

Neon Tank

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well it would help to have the readings...but if you believe it is nailed down to the cycling process (which I think it is too), then forget about providing such numbers

just give it time, once the good bacteria accumulates, the nutrients in the water column will be digested or disappear

Tank Cleaning

7 posts