Is more the better with biological filtration?

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I have a 100gal tank with two canister filters, one with a max capacity of 175 gal, and one with a capacity of 100 gal, and I have two large powerheads sucking water through an undergravel filter with about 3 inches of gravel. I assume that with biological filtration the more the better, and it should reduce the frequency with which I have to clean the filters. Am I right? PS Just ignore the stuff on restricted fish included in this post. Read what's there if you want. I don't care. I can't immagine my hydrogars are going to bring a 'sting' to my home. P
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:52 am, edited 5 times in total.

Poetic_Irony2267

Re: What's the deal with fish that are illegal in CA?

by Poetic_Irony2267

it's that way in many states, ontop of the fish being very expensive to obtain if you are found to be in possession of an illegal animal the fines can be very very steep as well as the confiscation and destruction of the fish that you went to great lengths to obtain. however there may be a loop hole if you speak with the local fish/game and wildlife office they may be able to point you in a direction where you can get a permit to keep such an animal. the reason for the fish being illegal is that "if" it were released in the wild there in CA it could cause a huge disruption to the natural ecosystem along with the decimation of many other species of fish and wildlife, and this is something they have run into in the past and have had to place a ban on ownership of these types of animals. you're best bet is to speak with the local dept of environmental conservation or the dept of fish game and wildlife and they will point you in the right direction, if there is no way to obtain a permit then i hate to say it but i would not risk my lively hood over bringing in an illegal animal and having the off chance that a friend of a friend of a friend find out and think that it is not right that you have the animal and call someone to do something about it.

Best of luck
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Thanks Brandon. My parents are avid environmentalists and I fully understand the impact non native species can have on an ecosystem. When I was young they had me shooting starlings which are not native to upstate NY, but I quickly lost my taste for killing. I know where I can get these fish, but I will definitly call the agencies you indicated before I attempt to acquire one. I was told, when I contacted my local aquarium store, that permits are given to those that use the animals for educational and other purposes, such as public aquariums. I wonder how I could "justify" ownership of this species? My thought was to keep one or more in graduatingly larger and larger tanks, effectivly stunting their growth as much as possible(18 inches as opposed to the 24" I've seen on You Tube), while providing a hospitable environment, giving them shelter with lots of plants, and having a large air entraining powerhead as an excersize area. I have a 100 gal tank with some varieties of South american gars I enjoy greatly. They are tame, let me stroke them with my hand, and have been coerced to eat non live food, something some people say can't be done. They've reached 10 or so inches in length, but I think the Florida species are the most beautifull. I was thinking a 500-800 gal tank would be good for an 18-24 inch F. gar. Peter

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

I think that you have the right idea, if you do proceed and obtain a F. Gar the larger tank is going to be the best bet, with much in the way of plants and areas for the fish to lurk, or hide, which ever you want to call it, lol. The only problem is that unless you get a permit i would suggest keeping the tank in a location where others, ie, friends and family would not see it however it's hard to hide a tank that large. it's not a bad thing to own a fish like that, i own two ferrets who up until about ten years ago were illegal in NY state with out a permit, and i know that they are still listed as contraband species in CA. because of the fact that they think if the animal is released that it will have an impact on the environment, however it's something that has proven to be a myth, ferrets cannot survive in the wild. any how good luck i hope it all works out for you, oh and ps. i too agree that the F. Gar is the most beautiful of the species!! however they also have the most voracious appetite!! if you do get one try your best to keep it a secret, i have a large tank that i keep in my bedroom, where no one else actually goes that may be something you want to think about, as beautiful as they are to have on display it's just something that you may want to keep all to yourself. :-)

Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Thanks Brandon. I'm thinking of moving back east before long anyway.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Brandon. I called the fish and game and they say 'all' gars are restricted in CA, along with many other fish I've seen in aquarium stores(I looked at their list). Now I'm paranoid about the hydrogars I've had for four years! I can just 'almost' see the fish and game people sitting on their butts looking through sites like this trying to find people with restricted varieties. If they would only walk into most aquarium stores in LA they would find loads of them. I wonder why they don't seem to regulate this very well? I deleted the post and my comments and I'll probably just wait till I move out of this God forsaken city of LA before I considder those other gars. Thanks for the advice. P

6 posts