fin rot advice needed

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

snostorm

fin rot advice needed

by snostorm

I just noticed 3 of my gold fish have frayed fins and looks to be the start of fin rot. I just did a full water test and part water change and the results where-

pH 6.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm

How could they have got sick? (I know my tanks a bit over stocked but that's being fixed after my other tanks cycled). Could the Black Skirt Tetras be nipping their fins? There's 5 of them.

The only treatment I have is Melafix, I could treat the whole tank but should I? Or I could wait till the other tanks done them separate them?

What would you do?

tekneb

by tekneb

Melafix is mostly tea tree oil, so it won't bring harm to anything else in your tank but is quite effective at repairing damaged fins You can treat the whole tank without worry. However, melafix is also only a temporary solution. Your gonna need to find out the reason why their fins are frayed. Are the goldfish new, and therefore may have the fin rot from when they were at the LFS? And how big is your tank? I don't think the black skirts are doing any nipping but if the tank is overcrowded it would definitely stress the fish out and the one of the first signs of a stressed fish is fin rot.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

yep I just gave one of my rainbows finrot from a rescape. It's just that easy I guess but he is just a lil guy. Never tried melafix I'll have to one day. I LOVVE stresscoat as some already know. I found the best deals on treatments are petco oddly enough. Good luck I hope all goes well. Goldfish are hard to keep with other fish as well as they have different water condition needs. Google care of blank and you'll get it all figured out. Once the other tank is done you'll be fine anyhow just cross your fingers that you don't lose any. But goldfish are a dime a dozen well actually more like 3 something but anywho

snostorm

by snostorm

Tank is at 21c. I love stress coat too! I'll add some. I've had these goldfish for over a year but recently added more blackskirt a week or so ago (who also don't mind the cooler temps). Just one thing, I've got activated carbon in my fiter, I know I should remove it for the Melafix but does it remove Stress Coat?

fin rot advice needed

4 posts