cycle fish

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

ddrivera

cycle fish

by ddrivera

I have a 20 gal, an i have lots of rocks in my reef tank. so getting to the point i have a blue damsel i wanna get rid of, due to bullying of other fish an i cant catch em with a net even when feeding, he just goes in the rocks an i don't wanna take all the rocks out. So does anybody have an idea how i can catch em. Any ideas for traps, methods or anything else please help

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Patience! Evasive maneuvers! Dive dive dive! Idk though. I've been in your shoes though. Had a gold gourami that was a jerk so I traded him in on some heteromorpha rasboras my fav! Good luck!

jdak702

by jdak702

Another great reason not to cycle with fish

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

You are never going to get that damsel out of there.
Might as well go with your fate and take all of the rocks out.
Those fish are quick, and the only way he is coming out with a net is if he is dead.
My friend has schools of them in her tank because she cycled her tank with them and then was stuck with them.
She added other fish but they picked on every one until her only alternative was to.
a = just keep damsels in there, or b = break the tank apart and get them out.
She is lazy so she picked a..

AquamanCA

by AquamanCA

Any ideas? Yes. Wish, hope and pray. Damsels are quick and near impossible to catch. Only thing I can think of, short of taking out enough rock to easily maneuver a net around, would be to have a lot of patience. Turn off all the room lights and leave only the tank lights on...depending on how your lights are mounted avoid moving them and keep it set so you can access the tank...set your net inside the tank and leave it there...after 10-15 minutes add a small amount of food to the tank...let them eat undisturbed...10-15 minutes later feed another small amount but this time you will attempt to corner the damsel and net him. This procedure may take a few days/attempts but it is the safest least intrusive way I know of.

Of course if this does not work you could add a medium size Queen Trigger and hope he eats the damsel before he eats all the corals and inverts. Of course I'm joking but it might work and the trigger is easier to net. LOL

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

You have a 20G . So you have about 40 lbs of rock?
How hard could it be to take it out and replace it.
It is not as if you have a 150G tank where you have to remove 300lbs of rock.
Pray my ass. Get your lazy butt up and do the work.
Last edited by stingraysrule on Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdak702

by jdak702

lol.. a 20g you could pick it up and pour him out...

dream2reef

by dream2reef

lmao I agree with jdak funny thread.

cycle fish

8 posts