cloudy water

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

BillMahoney

cloudy water

by BillMahoney

Hi. I switched to play sand from gravel in my 55 g cichlid tank. And it has been cloudy ever since. I did this a week ago and have since done 3 water changes between 25-45%. I cleaned the sand as directed but apparently. Didn't clean it all. I can see small micro particles floating all around. Also mind u this tank has only been running for 2 weeks so it is still immature and the cycle may not be complete. Also I keep the tank at about 78* and am using a marineland penguin 350 in this 55g 4' tank. Anyone have any ideas or advice? I have a 34 gallon saltwater reef tank that's crystal clear n this fresh tank is being a pita! Lol

tekneb

by tekneb

What you are seeing is most likely a bacterial bloom resulting from high ammonia/nitrite levels in your tank. The bacteria are a good thing since they eat the excess ammonia and nitrite in the tank, turning it into much less harmful nitrate. Eventually, the bacteria establish themselves in your filter and in your substrate, so it's important not to change either of those anymore. Since you are cycling with fish, keep up with your water changes to get rid the ammonia and nitrites that your bacteria can't consume and your water should clear up in a week or two.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree with tekneb...your tank is going through a cycling bloom plus the play sand may be contributing to it(are you saying that the sand is not for aquarium use).

For the 55 gallon, you need to ten times the amount of gallons per hour (gph), so on a 55 gallon, you should have 550 gph, that is, at least, a 350 and then purchase a 200 penguin. This will help too.

Two weeks running...you need to give it about 4-6 weeks for cycling.

Plus the bloom is not harmful to the fish unless your water tests (I am sure you have these beings you've been in this hobby already) show the ammonia is way too high and refuses to buckle under.

And do your 25-35% water changes per week plus more dependent on the water tests.

Alasse

by Alasse

I've not set up a new tank with play sand, and it stayed cloudy for a good 2-3 weeks, due to the sands fine particles and of course the bacterial bloom.

Because you are cycling with fish, do smaller frequent water changes (daily to every few days)...too large a water change will make the cycle last longer (can be upto 10-14 weeks)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

water changes during the cycling time should be based on the water tests...if the test shows very high ammonia level (first phase of cycle) do a 50% water change, if lower, do a 25% water change...understand?

as for good bacteria in the water column, this is a myth. There is some good bacteria in the water column, but even this will eventually be filtered through the filter. Most of the good bacteria is in the gravel, on the objects in the tank and definitely in the filter (and bio wheels if you are using these).

So with that in mind, if you do a 50% water change because the ammonia level shot up to 4-8 ppm, no problem.

and it is true alasse, bacterial bloom can appear even without sand, it's mainly appears because the bacteria that is growing or living/consuming the chemicals (ammonia and nitrite...and in time, nitrate) are not in the majority enough to consume those chemicals...but in time, as the good bacteria accumulates in the filter, gravel, and objects in the tank (the surfaces), the good bacteria will overwhelm the ammonia and nitrite (and nitrate) levels to always keep the first two at 0 and nitrate at around 20-30 ppm.

So water change according to water testing. Use reason, apply observation...and of course, enjoy the hobby

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree w/yasher. Don't be afraid to do a large water change if needed. The bacteria that you need to finish your cycle are establishing themselves mostly in your filter, not in the water column.

Alasse

by Alasse

Well i'll beg to differ on the large water changes, i'll stick with doing my small frequent water changes (ammonia never gets high due to the frequency of new water being added, so large WC are not required),....but each to their own.

Never anywhere did i state that the water holds much established bacteria, all i stated was the large water changes can extend the cycle process

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well small water changes AFTER the cycling is fine. I do 8 gallons on Thursday and 8 gallons on Sunday every week for the 55 gallon tank. But this thread is not about a tank that has been cycled, but one that is cycling.

The key when cycling a tank is in the water tests. Dependent on the water test, if chemicals are high, 50% water change, if low 25%, if very low or near normal conditions, 10% and after the tank is cycled, 20-25% per week.

As far as large water changes extending the cycling, this too is a myth. The only reason you do huge water changes is because the pollutants in the water column is overwhelming the good bacteria that is starting to grow in the tank. So you are just helping the good bacteria out. Once the good bacteria can keep up with the chemicals levels, then one only does regular small water changes. It's simple reason or math.

But hey, if you think huge water changes are a no no if the ammonia ppm is reading 8.0, then to each their own...I just feel sorry for the fish.

Alasse

by Alasse

Again i beg to differ. I dont have an ammonia problem in my cycling tank, and i do frequent small water changes.

No need to feel for my fish. They dont have to suffer through any high reading of ammonia, why, because i dont let it get to problem levels where i have to do a large WC *L* Again why, because i do frequent small water changes.
I've had fish spawning successfully in cycling tanks, they certainly wouldnt be doing that if the water had major problems like you are saying mine would

I can show many a site that says that small frequent changes are the thing, but again each to thier own.....i'm sure the OP can research other places instead of taking one persons word as gospel!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

0 nitrite
0 ammonia
8.2 ph
1.012 salinity
5 ppm nitrate

that's how I roll and my fish are happy no cloudiness I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my sand 3 x's exactly with oil strainers. I wish to know the alk. but I don't have that test yet.

cloudy water

20 posts • Page 1 of 2