Plant question!

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tekneb

Plant question!

by tekneb

So for the first time in almost a decade, I am trying my hand at planting my tank. I bought a package of three bulbs and put two in my main tank and one in my betta bowl. At least one of them seems to be growing very nicely, I just can't figure out for the life of me what plant it is, lol. Google has failed me on this one, so I hope someone here can help out. The bulbs are dark brown in color, woody in texture, and hairy on the side that the plant is growing out of. If I can get a decent pic of the bulbs I'll post it.

Bigdog

by Bigdog

Sounds like a Lotus plant.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

The most common plants sold in bulbs are lotus, water onion, and apons (all brown and hairy). If you can get a picture after it's sprouted, we can probably give you an ID. I bought a bunch of bulbs from petsmart a few months back and NONE sprouted! So, if you have one growing, you're doing better than me!

tekneb

by tekneb

One of the bulbs in my main tank has two long shoots growing out of it already. The bulb in the betta tank is growing shoots as well, but my betta keeps shuffling it around the tank, so I'm concerned for its well being. The third one just sits there and does nothing. I'll take pics as soon as I'm home at the same time my tank lights are on, stupid work :(.

tekneb

by tekneb

I just googled the three plants you suggested natalie. The bulbs are without a doubt onions. Any advice you'd care to give to someone who's never owned an onion before and has never been able to keep any kind of plant alive (aquatic or land based)?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Aquatic plants can be a challenge, but i think water onions are supposed to be one of the easier ones. I've never kept them myself, so i can't say from personal experience. Some of the hardier plants can survive without anything special, but i would recommend you use a fertilizer.

tekneb

by tekneb

I will look into the fertilizer thing, thanks natalie!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I bought a cheap bulb package from petco and the onion was the only thing that took off. I have 55 gal tank and it's over the top and reaching out in the water in only a couple months t8 lighting with no ferts.

tekneb

by tekneb

So far two of the three bulbs in the package are growing very well :). I just hope that it keeps up, cuz my lighting isn't nearly at good as t8's. I also bought a java fern today for funsies :).

Plant question!

9 posts