best non-schooling fish with tiger barbs?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mama2two

by mama2two

I have a 30 gallon tank with 4 tiger barbs and 2 neon gold barbs.

I would like to add two different kinds of fish. Because of the size of the tank I am assuming I need non-schooling fish?

I am also concerned about finding fish that the tiger barbs will get along with.

Any thoughts?

mama2two

by mama2two

I was thinking of maybe adding a blue gourami and a red tailed shark?

tekneb

by tekneb

The redtail should be fine. They don't get that big (4-6 inches), are rarely aggressive, and should be able to fend off your semi-aggressive tigers. I have barbs and a redtail myself and the redtail pretty much runs shit :). Redtails are also known to eat algae so bonus! Gouramis are occasionally known to be aggressive also, so you are running a risk putting them in your tank, albeit a small one.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

ive got blue n yellow gouramis in my community tank n there mellow but my barbs dont mess with them due to the fact there much bigger,ive also got mollies tetras dojo loaches n a few others n they all get along.the only problem i had with my barbs was with snails.other then that there mellow with every thing else.

christofrontosa

by christofrontosa

kribensis are one of my favorites.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

harlequin rasboras and zebra danios, even though they prefer schools, the fish being very small (3 inches tops), can be fine if you purchase 3-4 danios and rasboras. these two fish, though they are peaceful, will get along with the tiger barbs because they are quick enough

6 posts