Black Beard Algae!

7 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

FishMane25

Black Beard Algae!

by FishMane25

whats the best way to get rid of it? and how does it come about? please help! its not bad in my tank but im noticing it on alot of plants. thanx

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

What are your water parameters?
Do you use CO2?
What is the wpg?
Any micro or macro ferts?
How long are you leaving the lights on?
Spot treating with flourish excel, and some true siamese algae eaters will help.

FishMane25

by FishMane25

im good on my water, my ph is at about 8. i dont use CO2 just running a straight wet/dry nothing else added. micro or macro ferts? my lights are on a timer they run 6 hrs a night and only at night. what is wpg? and i dont know if i can put an small algae eaters in my tank i think they will be lunch for some of my fish!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

wpg - watts per gallon (the wattage put out by the aquarium lights per gallon of water in the tank)

I agree with stingray, probably has to do with your lighting. Plus beings your ph is at 8, if you bring it down to say about 7 (neutral) this will help a lot.

siamese algae eaters are your best bet but I think you are right, your other fish will treat them as late night snacks.

so the best thing right now, immediately, is cut back on your lighting

keep us posted if this helps

jdak702

by jdak702

Why do you run your lights at night? Is it dark in the room during the day or does the tank get light all day from the sun then the lights come on?

FishMane25

by FishMane25

I'm running 2 light fixtures and the lights are 96 watts a piece and I'm only running my lights 6 hrs a night at the most they are on a timer. The tank isin my livingroom and it's usually kinda dark in there all day and my background is painted black so the tank stays dark anyways.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well as long as you are running the lights only 6 hours a day (and not 6 hours at night and 6 hours at day)

also, on your profile it states you have fake plants, so why do you need such high wattage of light? There is no need for such lighting.

You know if you did have live plants in the tank, the live plants will compete with any chemical in the tank thereby robbing any algae of its much needed nutrients.

Too much actinic light can encourage the growth of black beard algae (straight 6500 K light is best). Thank goodness I look at your profile. That's your sole culprit, too much lighting. And by the way, actinic lighting may look nice but it's best for a tank with corals.

best thing to do is, either get all live plants or cut down on the lighting

let us know how it goes

Black Beard Algae!

7 posts