ph

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bangme33

ph

by bangme33

hi just checked my ph and its at 4.75 i n it is low but there happy and cumfy in it.
but i need to do a water change anyway and the bogwood amount is litle over the top but not changing it if there happy then thats gd.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK???
120a6-100_2250_00.jpg
3acd3-100_2211_00.jpg

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

That PH is way too low. Your fish are going to get sick and die.
Your fish are not happy and comfy. They have acclimated to the PH, but you are slowly suffocating them to death.
You need to SLOWLY bring the PH back up and supplement your water to keep the PH up. I use crushed coral in my filter because my wood will also drop my PH.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

you are stressing your fish - it may appear all is fine and good, but if you permit your ego or your pride to get too huge, your fish may suffer in the process

4.7 ph is unheard of - even in natural waters (streams, rivers etc). You are just asking for trouble.

Fish stress in many ways, in time, I can promise you, that if the ph remains below 5.0, you will one by one lose your fish.

bangme33

by bangme33

acctually ph of 3 has to be achived to breed apistograma inaridae so dont come telling me all this crtap bout ph being to low u all think u no everything but most of you no nothing

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

If you know so much, then why did you post your question?
Believe us when we tell you, your fish are going to die and suffer a slow death.

BANGME338722

by BANGME338722

its been like that for months it was at 5 for a lonftime and now dropped to that ive told u not had any los in any fish and it wasnt like i was after answer i just posted it to see wot u all think not to get abuse about how big my f***ing ego as some put is

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Listen, your fish have accumulated to that PH. Try to put a new fish in that tank and no way is it going to survive, even if you acclimate for 2 hours. Fish are more prone to disease and bacteria infections. Your PH is low in your tank because you have material in there that is ROTTING away, which makes your PH that low.
Breaking down equals ROTTING. Rotting wood and rotting plant debris is not a healthy enviroment for the fish.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

don't mean to piss you off pal...but all the fish in your tank need higher ph levels (like around 7.0)...now you are correct about apistograma inaridae (ph can go down to 3.5 for breeding), but none of your fish can handle that.

Again, your fish may appear fine, but you are stressing your fish. You're only pressing your luck, but it's your choice pal

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

You have 4 fish that could possibly handle a PH of under 5 for a SHORT period of time for BREEDING. Where have you read that other than breeding. apistos can handle a 4 PH for any substantial amount of time?
And you have 35 other fish in that tank that can in no way handle a PH that
low.
Break up the 4 apistos, and set yourself up a healthy blackwater tank using
peat and oak leaves, and have them breed in there if you wish, if that is your goal.
Or you could add some crushed coral to your filter and slowly bring the PH back up. That way, you do not have to take the wood out of your tank since you seem to like it. I like my wood also and would not want to take
it out, so I use the crushed coral. A bag of it would cost you nothing.

cmarti

by cmarti

I had very low ph in my tank also for a few months, I was fortunate enough that the fish had gotten used to it (very low meaning under 5, the test was dark yellow). I put some seashells in but that didn't help. I finally put some crushed coral in a bag and put it my hob filter. That successfully raised the ph to about 6.5. Since the ph has gone up the fish actually are more energetic than they were before. Go figure... :)

ph

13 posts • Page 1 of 2