Driftwood Questions.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MayhemMonkey

Driftwood Questions.

by MayhemMonkey

Okay, so as some of you may have read from my previous topic i'm starting up my 29 gallon and want to go for a much more natural look. along with live plants i want to add driftwood, both are things which i've never done. so i was looking through my local pets stores and see that they only have the fake, plastic driftwood which were all around thirty dollars. then i took a trip to a river a few miles from my house and came across some neat looking pieces of driftwood. i have a few questions on the topic.

1.) would it be okay to use this driftwood? or would it rot in the tank?
2.) if so what steps should i take to cure the driftwood so it would be suitable to use?

i know they have the shops online where you can buy natural driftwood and some of it isn't very costly, but i just wanted to see if i could save a few bucks and weeks wait on the shipping and use some driftwood i found.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

You can use it.
I would put it in a tub of water and let it soak some of the tannis out, and if it is not too big you can boil it.
The wood will leak tannis into your tank which could possibly turn your water the color of tea. It is not harmful to the fish, but some people find it irritating to look at.
The driftwood, depending on how big it is, could also cause your PH to go down somewhat. So, you need to watch that. I have a massive piece in my 85G, and it does drop my PH down some. What I do is use crushed coral in my filter to compensate the PH, but others do many different things.
The driftwood will take many many years to rot, as long as it is solid right now.
I have pulled driftwood, rocks and plants out of the ponds and rivers in my area, washed them off with tap water and put them in my tank with no ill effects.
But, just to be on the safe side, try to soak it and boil it if you can.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

And... even if you buy driftwood at a store or online, it should be soaked or boiled.
I like the "black water" effect it has in my tank from the tannis.
If you put neons in your planted tank they will LOVE it. Neons and cardinal tetras come from blackwater and thrive with some tannis. Their 'neon' stripes burst out,
and your tank will have a very natural look.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree with stingray, as long as it is a solid piece of wood, it will not brittle over time. And you should boil anything that you find outside be it rocks, wood...as for plants you find outside in the water, you may introduce some bad chemicals into the tank (for of course you do not want to boil plants - duh) and also you may find the plants may not thrive as well because the plants you find in every day ponds, streams etc may not be suited for the conditions in your tank. So if you are in doubt with the plant, purchase online (liveaquaria.com is a great place to purchase live plants).

Again, for the wood, make sure it is solid and boil it. As for soaking it, it will help to get the tannis out but most of all, it will help it from not floating up - even the malaysian wood I purchased online I had to soak for about 5 days.

Tell us how it goes

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I pulled some plants out of a pond and they are still doing well.
What kind of chemicals could I be introducing into my tank?
Anyway, I am all for pulling plants out of a river, pond, etc. Free is a good thing.
My daughter loves that particular tank cause she found the plants in the pond.
I have seen anacharis, crypts, and baby tears readily available for free.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

in today's rivers, streams, oceans, what have you, there are plenty unwanted chemicals...it is good to see you have found a water bed that does not have chemicals or other unnecessary bacteria attached to the live plant found outside

like you said, in the eye of the beholder or if it works, great

like the tank I own, who would ever think to against all "expert" wisdom and have a tank with no above lighting only sunlight regulating by mini blinds, or take out as much man made gadetry leaving only the most necessary gadgets (water flow pump, 2 filters and a heater - though even the heater can be taken out and the water pump - but I leave the water pump in in order to agitate the water surface for oxygen in the water column); leaving only wood, stone and live plant...also I have done away with all chemicals even during the water change...I have done away with all fish food, I give the fish etc pieces of chicken, peas (unskinned), turkey, ham, beans (unskinned) - of course all in the most tinniest pieces; I never ever vacuum, therefore, the gravel on the live plant side, about half inch below surface is practically a bed of mud (yet water tests have all chemicals within normal range); I leave any snail shells that may die in the tank; and I never use a breeder tank for new fry or eggs, either the fry will escape into the algae or plants or the frogs or adult fish will eat them (also I never use a hospital tank, if the fish gets too ill, I will put it down in a small glass dish with a tablespoon of clove oil).

I am sure no one in this forum or the "expert" world would condone my "eye in the beholder" or what works in the tank I own let alone even attempt the closeness to mother nature as I have achieved - just like yourself stingray, you place live plants from outside into the fish tank (something I may do now for it has worked for you - but it is greatly frowned upon by the "experts").

thanks for sharing stingray - always open to new ideas to achieve an all natural tank - wild plants found out in the water beds is just one more step closer to absolute non-reliance on mankind's gadgetry or assistance.

cool thread

bangme33

by bangme33

LISTEN ALL DRIFT WOOD IS GOOD, I HAVE LOADS IN MY TANK , ITS GOOD FOR LOWERING YOUR PH SLOWLY AND GIVES OFF A GD TANNIS WHICH MOST AMAZONIAN FISH LIKE, GO TO www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk LOADS OF BOGWOOD THERE FOR SALE

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

All driftwood is not good and because of the "loads" you have in your tank, your PH is 4.7, which is a slow death sentence in a fish tank.
You can put loads of it in, but you also have to watch the PH that it does not go lower than a reasonable number.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

4.7 ph is quite low - average ph is 7.0.

I agree with stingray, 4.7 ph is so low that soon your tank will be devoid of fish because the water column too much acidity.

I hope you rethink your "loads of wood" standpoint again....before it's too late for your fish

Alasse

by Alasse

I have a 4ft tank, it has loads of wood in it (its the tank i use to soak wood for use). The bristlenose are breeding, happy and active. The guppies are breeding like mad things, also happy and active. It gets that dark with tannins you can see anything *L*

What is the PH, couldnt tell ya, dont check it. Its been this way for ages now and as i said above all is well.

Driftwood Questions.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2