what am i doing wrong??

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

what am i doing wrong??

by breaknrun911

i have pom pom xenia and long-stem xenia. i cant get the pom pom to live long enough. and if i do it doesnt multiply like xenia is suppoesed to. my long stem i have too much to handle and im constantly fragging it out and getting rid of it.
i add all the proper supplements etc and nothing.

is there something im missing?

jdak702

by jdak702

What kind of lighting are you using? What is the placement in your tank? And how much current?

My recent experience is when i was using PC lighting and had a somewhat lower current tank with mushrooms and softies, mine completely thrived. Once i upgraded to some really strong MH lighting and upped my current for SPS, they quit pulsating as strong. They are now in a lower corner with lower light and flow. They are doing better but just aren't like they were. My xenia and button polyps are the only two coral who didn't like the lighting upgrade. Also, if you keep them lower in the tank, they like to grow toward the light meaning they climb up the rock, splitting along the way. If you have them placed high, they have nowhere to climb and they usually won't climb down.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

i have a 28 gall nano with PC lighting. i have the pom pom xenia about middle depth and the long stem xenia at the bottom. i guess i will move them down next to the long stem and see how they do. thanks jdak. ill keep u posted.

what am i doing wrong??

3 posts