Yet another rescape!

28 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Thanks guys for the input! I love that rainbowfish. I'll have to look for more. He was the only one in the tank-o-random fish. Anyhow I think my fish are very happy and I think I just need to trade in the gourami or buy 2 more for him to mess with not sure yet?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

just want to inform you dream2reef, I am not sure if you are aware of it or not, but the bala shark you have in the tank will grow to about one foot and 6 inches. It requires at least a 75 gallon tank. That is, for just one of these guys, 75 gallons for one bala shark...of course you have about 1 year or so before the bala shark grows to its adult size, and because it is a semi-aggressive fish, it will become very territorial in a 50 gallon tank as it grows, becoming a menace to the other fish.

This fish should be either housed with only other bala sharks in a 125 gallon tank or possibly traded in for a couple rainbows or whatever.

Most buy fish thinking, well isn't that cute little fish just perfect...not realizing that some fish grow beyond all imaginations. Like this one fish, the bala shark, 1 and a half feet long.

Just a word of warning pal.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

also one other tidbit I forgot to add dreamtoreef: bala sharks do best in schools of 3-6, so a 125 gallon tank for 2 or 3 is okay, but to make them fully satisfied, if the bala is going to reach its full potential, a school of six, one must get at least a 220 gallon tank.

So we see, certain types of fish need certain requirements met at adult size NOT just at juvenile or fry size. A fishkeeper must always think of the future. The seas and streams/rivers are vast, therefore no problem; but in order to mimic their natural habitats, we must think in the long run always, and in this instance, the bala shark requirement is it is a schooling fish and it needs plenty room to reach its full potential. Outside of this, you'll be fine.

In case you do get a 125 gallon or a 220 gallon in the future, be sure there are caves, but do not stack the rocks too high for this fish, the bala shark (which is not really a shark it just looks like one reason for its name) need plenty open space to swim.

Anyway, enough about the bala shark. I just wanted to drive a point across: always think of the future.

Still, a cool looking tank pal.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

whats wierd to me is some 1 stated gourami r not community fish but i have a community tank with about a dozen diff schools of fish including blue n yellow gourami n they all get along very well,n in my opinion goldfish arent ment to be pets ( unless your like six ) JUST MY OPINION arent goldfish just baby carp? where i live ( in WI. ) its a law if u catch a carp u cant release it . MUST B KILLED

Bigdog

by Bigdog

Looking real good.

kezza118

by kezza118

i have 5 neon tetra n 2 gourami n they dont bother the tetras at all so i dnt no what you mean by there not community fish because in my opinion they are .

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

In my experience, the Gourmani gets mean as he gets older.
I keep most of my fish for years, not months so, I think that the behavior of fish change as they grow and become a full adult meeting their potential.
Great for you tho if it all works out.....

nicholas542

by nicholas542

i've had my pearl gourami for almost a year and a half. It doestn't bother my school of eight black neons or any of my other fish for that matter. I've raised diffrent tanks with gourami's for years and never seen a mean streak in any of them. You want to see an a agressive fish get a ciclid

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

The OP stated in the above thread that he is already having problems with the fish in the tank.

Bigdog

by Bigdog

Looks real nice. Great job.

Yet another rescape!

28 posts • Page 2 of 3