Over stocked?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bmwguy

Over stocked?

by bmwguy

Need some opinions on my stocking level please.
I have a standard 48"long 55 gallon tank. According to tables I've seen I should be able to stock 52"-60" of fish I think. This is what I have:
4 Angels - silver dollar size ( 1 pr. spawning )
5 Diamond Tetras - 2" each
5 Cherry Barbs - 1.5" each
2 Head-Tail Tetras - 1.5" each
1 Australian Banded Rainbow - 3" now
1 Rainbow Shark - 4" now
1 Pictus Catfish - 3" now
1 Zebra Loach - 2.5"

They all seem fine now but I worry if they all stay alive to full growth if it would be over crowded.
Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Pic of my tank listed under fresh water tanks. Ranked around # 15.

javahava82

Re: Over stocked?

by javahava82

it seems you're familiar with common fish stocking guidelines (1 inch per gallon for small fish, up to 3 inches per gallon if stocking larger fish):

http://www.firsttankguide.net/capacity.php

it seems like you're about at your limit, when considering the full growth of your fish. the above article has some good advice on some further nuances of those rules of thumb.

skataplaya

by skataplaya

I know that has nothing to do with you topic but can someone please tell me how to message users and how to set blogs i put in subjects and it tells me to specify

ci11337

by ci11337

Your definatly at your limit and when each of thoose fish is full grown you may need a larger tank. Also, IMO, that rule is useless. It suggests that he could keep a 55" long fish,(overstocked) or 55 1" fish (a bit understocked) It only works for small-mid sized fish (tetras) just my $.02

IlikeFish

Overstocked

by IlikeFish

I happen to think that these guidelines are to help less experienced people so that they don't overstock their tanks and have too much toxin buildup.

I have a standard 55 gallon tank and have the following fish:
18 Neon Tetras
8 Flame Tetras
4 Serpae Tetras
3 Brilliant rasboras
4 Silver Mollies
3 Black Mollies
2 Dalmation Mollies
2 Dojo Loaches
3 YoYo Loaches
1 Clown Loach
40 Goast Shrimp
3 Giant Danios
2 Bosemani Rainbows
3 New Guinea Rainbows
8 Bumble Bee Gobies
3 Sunburst Platies
5 Sunburst Dwarf Platies
4 Blue Platies

Note that I have not had a dead fish in well over 6 months and all of my fish have ample swim room. I also have a large amount of live plant and drift wood.

I have more than this but will update later.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Having a bigger tank sounds like a good idea, but why not try to add a large canister filter(175gal max capacity) to your setup($150-$200)? I like having lots of live plants, VHO lights, an undergravel filter with powerfull powerheasd, and a canister filter. As far as I know the more biological filtration the better, and if the current bothers your fish there are ways to return the water without creating much current. Canister filters can allow you to have the aquarium closser to the wall due to the device being under the tank as opposed to hanging off the back too. Peter

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Having a bigger tank sounds like a good idea, but why not try to add a large canister filter(175gal max capacity) to your setup($150-$200)? I like having lots of live plants, VHO lights, an undergravel filter with powerfull powerheasd, and a canister filter. As far as I know the more biological filtration the better, and if the current bothers your fish there are ways to return the water without creating much current. Canister filters can allow you to have the aquarium closser to the wall due to the device being under the tank as opposed to hanging off the back too. Peter

Over stocked?

7 posts