Cabomba plant dieing

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

theidiotech

Cabomba plant dieing

by theidiotech

I cant really think of a reason for it to be dieing... Its getting about 3 WPG, I have a flourite gravel, dosing them with flourish, and I have a DIY c02 system. They just turn brown from the bottom half down, and fall off. The top half is doing okay. And they arent planted too close together.

My moneyworts leaves are also rotting and falling off. Both plants are new to the tank, but I have a very successfully growing moneywort already. It just seems like everything new to my tank isnt doing too good. Any help?

dream2reef

by dream2reef

First off welcome! Second everyone will want to know the lighting you have....

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

With 3 WPG your plants will need quite a bit of fertilizing. How often are you dosing? Are you using any fertz besides flourish? How are the other plants in your tank doing? I don't have any experience w/moneywort, but have never been able to keep camboba alive.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

dream to reef..... when the poster states he has 3wpg, that means he IS STATING what kind of lighting he has.
First off, what size is your tank. I ask this because 3wpg is a lot of light. Your DIY CO2 might not be enough CO2 if your tank is on the larger side. I have an 80G and have 8 2L Bottles of CO2 running thru the intake of my 2 Fluval canisters. What do you have going for DIY CO2?
Next off, I see you dose flourish. That is micro ferts. You also need to dose with macro,
which is NPK, Nitrogen, potassium, and Phosphate.
I am going to guess your problem could be that. You need micro AND macro. Seachems also makes the NPK. Or it could be your CO2 is not adequate.
How long do you leave your lights on for?
I need to know the parameters of your tank before I can help you out.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

+1 for Natalie. We both answered your post at the same time, so I reasked some of her questions and answers.

theidiotech

by theidiotech

tank is 29 gallon. and its a 65watt compact flurescent coralife and a 20 watt flora glo bulb. the DIY is just a 2L bottle with yeast and sugar running into a power filter intake. and no i have never used any macro... but plants have lived before (including moneywort) without using them. the lights are on from 8am-10pm (10hrs)

Sorry for the really bad spelling. :P

theidiotech

by theidiotech

Oh and I already have a flourite gravel, which should help with fertilizing right?

bangme33

by bangme33

strange your plant should be biing 1 o the easiest i find to keep. ii have it in my tank and it grows very fast, had the red and green types and had to keep cutting mine back i dont have any special requirments i use

AbadHabit

by AbadHabit

Are you sure they are getting enough light to the lower part of the plant? My tank is 18" and when they get amost to the top I cut about 7" off and replant them because if you don't then they could still be starving for light on the lower part of the stem. If they are still green on the top, I would say to just cut off the brown bottoms before they rot and can kill the whole plant, and replant the green and try again. My 30 gal is a mirror back and it reflects light all the way to the bottom of the tank. And how many different plants do you have in the tank? Because if you have a lot, sounds like not enough co2 or how you are dispersing it. And I use baking soda in my mix to help buffer the ph

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I think stingray is on the right track with the macro nutrients. Other than that, some people have different luck with different plants, for whatever reason. If you've had better luck with other plants, go back to those. But i'd say you'll do better with any plant if you add the macro nutrients that stingray suggested.

Cabomba plant dieing

10 posts