Looking at a 125gallon and only have experiences with a 55.!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

skitheeast36

by skitheeast36

I need some help... Although I will buy the 125 in a couple months, I need to start planning and saving. I don't really know anything about major filtration systems because I only have an HOB on my 55/10. Right now, I have 2 angels, 6 corys, and around 30 various tetras. Please help with some of my questions;

1. What type of filtration should I look into? I do have a price limit and don't want to have a big thing going on underneath the tank.
2. What fish should I add? I can move my tetras/angels, and totally convert it to a cichlid/discus/etc. tank?
3. How much $$ should I spend for a used 125 glass tank/stand?? Seems around $250?

Thanks to all!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

The only way you'll get help on here is decide what EXACTLY you want in your tank. That's the first step then build around the fish you want. So it's really just some fish store visits and some search engines away.

tekneb

by tekneb

I was waiting for someone with some large tank experience to field this one, but I guess I can give it a shot. When it comes to filtration for a tank that big, your either gonna have something very huge on top of the tank, some "big thing going on underneath" it, or several smaller things on top. One thing I can say is don't cut costs on the filtration. If you can somehow scratch out the money for that better filter, get it. To your second point, a 125 gallon tank is big enough to house pretty much any fish your heart desires. In the drop down menu at the top of this page there is an option that says "tools". One of the tools is a compatibility chart, so whichever fish you want, check the chart to see if they'll get along. Finally, when buying a used tank, just go on craigslist and see the best deals in your area. The best deal could be $250, or $500 or $50, but no matter what they'll certainly be cheaper then buying new. Remember, you can always not buy the tank if you show up at the guys house and the tank is in shitty condition. Hope all this helps!

skitheeast36

by skitheeast36

thx for the info, im interested at cichlids but definitely need to research them a lot more before I buy the tank. To the 1st post, can you please specify what filters I should be looking at?

gumbii

by gumbii

um... wrong forum...? or did the rules change...?

jdak702

by jdak702

Just the regular RMFT shit.
Last edited by jdak702 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdak702

by jdak702

"I do have a price limit and don't want to have a big thing going on underneath the tank."

Great reason not to setup a tank like this...

7 posts