lights for plants

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mi313

lights for plants

by mi313

hi i have a regular fluorescent light in my tank and i am wondering if i need a special one i have a 75 gallon tank i know of t5s but i dont want to buy a new light system any help will be great full

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, how many watts is it?
That will be a good place to start.
I need to know the watts per gallon to help you.

mi313

by mi313

well it doesnt say on it i bout this tank set up used

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

well, then I really cannot help you out.
What you could do tho, is replace the bulbs with something else.
Then you will know what the wattage is.
So, for example. I have a 30Gallon tank with a light fixture x2 15 watts.
So, I would divide 30 watts of light into a 30 gallon tank and would get 1 watt per gallon of light.
That would be in the category of a LOW light tank, which would be fine for low light plants like anubias and java ferns. They would grow relatively ok and survive in that light, but high light plants would not.
I also have a 80G tank with HQI lighting of 300Watts. I would divide 80 into 300 and get 3.75 watts per gallon. That would be a high light tank and I could grow many different plants in there, where a low light tank you cannot. Also with a high lighting you run into more problems with algae, fertilizing and CO2.
I would say that regardless, you should replace that bulb and decide what kind of lighting you would like and what kind of plants you would like to keep.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Or you could just assume that you have a low light set up and buy all low light plants (which would do fine in a high light set up too). Depends on how much money and time you want to put into this. If you're up for the high tech/high light tank--go for it! If you want to ease your way into the planted tank hobby, start with the hardy plants first and see how you like it.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

get a couple of anubias plants... they are very simple..
plant and watch grow, even in low light

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I like the anubias also. They look nice and you can sometimes find them attached with some java moss, to a rock or driftwood at the stores. Just don't plant the rhizome.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

what happens if you plant the rhizome??
just curious..

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

well, if you plant the rhizome, the plant will rot and die.

lights for plants

9 posts