Fish disappearing

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

dreamie40

Fish disappearing

by dreamie40

Hello, I am new to this site and love what I see so far. Here is my question, I recently inherited a 75 gallon fish tank. I have in there a horseshoe crab and have two chocolate starfish. 1 anemone not sure what kind though my yellow clown fish that I have cuddle with it. I did have an orange clown fish and an arrow crab and another fish forgot the name but anyways seems like my fish are disappearing? I watch them after of course quarantining them and than adding them they are striving and doing great than the next couple of days look and they are missing now my question being is my starfish and horseshoe crab killing them? I seriously need help on this cause I don't understand and don't want to have to get rid of things if this is not what is causing the problem? I don't have pictures to post at this moment

joyce123

by joyce123

I dont think that the crab and starfish are eating your fish and shrimp...... do you have covers on your power heads... ive had a few get sucked up than i realzied that my cover fell of the powerhead..... other than that i really cant help you out there.... i hope you find out whats going on in that tank... i hate losing fish to unknown causes....

jdak702

by jdak702

Well, mixing clown species isn't good. Esp in smaller tanks. You do know anemones eat fish. You should find out what kind it is. I'd be surprised if it ate your clown unless it was already dead and the other clown fed it. I don't think a starfish or horseshoe could do it either. Please read and study more about the animals and their compatibality before you purchase. If you can't remember their name, we can't help very much. What up joyce...

dreamie40

by dreamie40

Thank you for the advice you have given me though I have to say when you inherit a tank you are just trying to figure out if anything you have done wrong I have read many books about saltwater and in no means am I finished still trying to learn and understand. I am hoping to keep learning and eventually figure out the proper way of taking care of this wonderful tank. Thank you again
e70f8-saltwater tank7 71.JPG
5824f-saltwater tank16 71.JPG
f2a83-saltwater tank17 71.JPG
35f88-saltwater tank18 71.JPG
2b4ed-horseshoe crab 71.JPG

dreamie40

by dreamie40

Another thing about the tank is they had just added the horseshoe crab and chocolate chip starfish before I received this tank and never had fish disappear until now that is the reason that I was asking. Just seems weird that all of a sudden they are disappearing.

jdak702

by jdak702

Honestly, this horseshoe crab does look big. They don't usually eat fish tho. Why are they in bags? They are going to die very quickly like this.

tekneb

by tekneb

I am by no means a saltwater expert (or a saltwater beginner for that matter) but while I was working at the New York Aquarium a few years ago I remember learning that star fish ingest their food whole (they basically throw up their stomach on top of their food and digest it externally, sick right?). So if your missing fish died and were small enough, that might have been where they ended up? Hope this helps/that I am remembering my facts right.

joyce123

by joyce123

Im still living Jdak... im still waitong on my money to come in to get the light-set up for my 150... than i ll hit you up for some good info on tons of different sps and lps corals..... like i said before, all i have now are softies and zoo's and stuff...... but im so F'n excited to get the new lights.....ill keep you posted.....
bc4ba-fuul tank.jpg

jdak702

by jdak702

Cool. My tanks are at idle as well due to money funds. I've got a few SPS going now. Just kind of started that with my new halides. I got pics here... http://www.jdak.net/jdak/NEW_PICS.html
Check the vid at the main page if you'd like.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I'm sure you have a hood right?

Fish disappearing

13 posts • Page 1 of 2