cloudy water

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

laughatyourlaugh

cloudy water

by laughatyourlaugh

Iv'e had my planted tank running for like 2 years now. But today I moved it upstairs, which forced me to take out most of the water, and move everything. When I finally got it up and running the tank was really really cloudy. I thought it would just go away after a while like all the other times i emptied my tank. Well the water has barely cleared up, and I have double the filtration running. The only thing I did was add the gravel, which I quickly washed of course. I have no idea what to do, ive already put some chemical in, which also seems to not be helping.

The only thing I haven't checked is the filter pad... which hasn't been replaced for probably about 3 months...

Any suggestions what to do? Ill probably go get a fine filter pad for the canister later tomorrow.

jdak702

by jdak702

What kind of chemicals? How long did you wait?

laughatyourlaugh

by laughatyourlaugh

its called pro clear by kent. I have waited for about 10 hours now... usually it clears up by now. I also just noticed all the plants and driftwood is covered in this brown gunk. It almost looks like dead plants?

tekneb

by tekneb

That "brown gunk" sounds like brown algae. It grows when water is high in nitrates and phosphates, the latter can also make your water cloudy. i would check water parameters and perform water changes as necessary.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

That brown gunk is diatoms.
My guess would be that you did not wash your gravel out well, the tank got all stirred up from the massive water change. Don't be so impatient. The water will clear up, and the diatoms are normal
in this stage of your tank. Get yourself some otto cats, they eat that stuff right up.
After a massive water change, stirring everything around in the tank, your water will be high in phosphates and nitrates. Let things settle down, and then retest your water parameters.

cloudy water

5 posts