Check out Jdak.net

34 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jdak702

by jdak702

They wet/dry is factory build. I would look at the brand but it is on the back side. As for keeping it cooler, i tried putting a fan down there to blow on the water but i have better results with a fan on top of the aquarium. Mostly summer only. Heating is definitely not a problem considering i don't have a heater in either tank. Acrylic also is much more thermal than glass. The back of the tank is blue acrylic. No paint... Mr. Puffer is just under 7". I have these tanks in the front entrance to my home. I'll add a pic of that too. I think it was February when i brought him home. Seems like i've had him longer but its just been a few months. I mentioned all the shell foods in the post before. Lately he chipped a tooth so he looks kind of silly but i find clams are best for wearing down teeth.

jdak702

by jdak702

And check out the pic where i use a LED strip to light behind the blue acrylic. It's some cool night lighting.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Awesome rimless tank. And, I do like that lighting.
How do you put the fan on the top of the aquarium? Do you attach it to the tank?
Do you use something that clips on?
I really like how the tank is blue in the back.
I've never even seen one like that in any aquarium store here in CT for sale.
Anyway, I have a spotted puffer that is about 6 years old that chipped his tooth last year.
Still chipped. I give my puffers snails. Petsmart gives them to me free. I also feed them
ghost shrimp if I can't get the snails. Their main diet is live bloodworms and I buy shrimp cocktail, and that is what they eat. I think if I threw a carrot in there, they would eat that. They are vultures.

jdak702

by jdak702

The tank itself is over 10 yrs old. The company who made it got out of the large tank business and now makes 2gal pre setup junk for walmart. I have seen more like it that are black. Usually acrylics are custom order. I've never really seen them in the stores either. It is as light as my 46gal tank empty. After looking at his teeth, they are all kind of jagged. I let him fight with a frozen clam for like half an hour that wouldn't open. I had to pull it out for him and do it. It's good tho i guess.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, if their teeth get too big then they cannot eat. I used to get snails every week faithfully
at Petsmart, but now I am lazy. IMO, it takes a long time and alot of soft food for their teeth to outgrow them. People would freak me out tho and tell me that they took their fish out and had to cut their teeth with nail clippers so I decided to NOT EVER do that and maintain their diet with some snails and ghost shrimp.
How much has the puffer grown since you got him?
A substantial amount?

jdak702

by jdak702

About 2". I read that they will get to 12" pretty quickly then slow down.

jdak702

by jdak702

bump...

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Are there new pics?

jdak702

by jdak702

Here are a few.

www.jdak.net
c6319-DSC02185.JPG
4cba3-DSC02186.JPG
3d8d8-DSC02199.JPG

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

That is one fat happy puffer. That camera takes really good pictures.

Check out Jdak.net

34 posts • Page 3 of 4