Check out Jdak.net

34 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jdak702

by jdak702

I thought you were gone. I can't understand you in a single post. OUR crap? Your comment on my page makes no sense either.

www.jdak.net

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Those are some really nice pictures.
Your puffer seems really interested in your camera.
Does he come over because he thinks you have food? Are you holding a piece of krill in front of your camera?
The reef tank is awesome.
How long do you leave your lights on in the tanks?
And, what is your water change schedule?
What do you feed that puffer, and do you feed him every day?
Your tanks look pretty much algae free. I can't believe you have any cleaning crew with that puffer because I would imagine he would eat them all up. Do you leave the lights in puffer tank on for more than 8 hours? Is everything in that puffer tank fake rock and coral?
Anyway, it is cool how you don't overstock your tank. I see so much of that.... I do it myself.....
that it really shows you care about your fish.
I want that dog!

jdak702

by jdak702

Thanks a lot... I'll answer one by one here. He actually doesn't really like the camera. He likes to swim up to my face and then i sneak the camera up. I pull up my stool and he likes me to sit with him. I don't provoke him with food for pictures as he only puts up with it for a few seconds. If you tease him more than a few seconds, he will turn his nose at you but he will put on his angry face when you hold a clam up to the tank. BTW, he hates krill. My reef tank has metal halide lighting for 7 hrs and LEDs on 2hrs before and after. My water changing schedule isn't as exact as yours although usually bi-monthly. The reef usually gets 10g bi-monthly of sometimes less. Ammonia and nitrates never detected and nitrates always below 10. So much biological activity in this tank. Not the case for the puffer tank. Usually a bi-monthly 50% which is about 60g after decor. This tank i have got it all automated. No buckets get lifted in this process. Just a garden hose and a few flips and switches. The puffer tank has two lights. No timers... just flip one on usually but flip them both on when it's going to be displayed. The reef stays algae free but the puffer tank needs its beached coral bleached from time to time. It's all beached coral although none of it is fake. A lot of people ask me why i have such a big tank with only three fish. I might add one more if i find the right fit but i have to consider that this puffer grows another 3x. As for the clowns, they've shown me they rather be alone. I left out feeding. I have actually started making my own frozen cubes. It includes shrimp, squid, mussels, clams, nori, garlic extract, and vita chem. This is the only way i could get him to eat nori. I also feed him raw mussels, raw clams, crab meat, raw squid, mysid shrimp, brine shrimp, and peas. He really likes peas and it's like bobbing for apples. They float all over and he has to work to catch them in the current. So the other fish usually eat pretty good off the scraps. As for the other clowns, i give them frozen cubes here and there but they like New Life Spectrum pellets. Well, that is what i got. Thanks for your interest.... And a shout out to my haters. now you learned my secrets, you can be just like me:)

www.jdak.net

jdak702

by jdak702

BTW, i am shooting with a Sony 7.2megapixel still camera. The video too. It's a POS really but gets the job done. Wish i had a macro lens.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

What is beached coral? That is coral that has washed up on the beach? Do you have live rock in that tank?
How do you get the PH to stay up in the tank? Do you use crushed coral for substrate or do you add something in the water? If I recall the PH has to be on the higher side for SW.

jdak702

by jdak702

Ya, bleached coral is mostly stoney coral remanence. I have >30lbs of LR in my filter. I also use baking soda to raise pH. It is the main ingredient in marine pH buffer. I do plan on adding LR at some point. Also i'd like to remove some of the crushed coral and mix sand in. Future plans tho. Gotta save money for other things right now. But yes, pH needs to be around 8.2 - 8.3 range.

jdak702

by jdak702

Thanks for the Qs? too... This is the stuff i need to add to my descriptions.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

So, you use crushed coral for your substrate and live rock in your filter? And than you use a buffer to help raise the PH.
Is your plan to use sand and crushed coral as substrate and add live rock into the tank? That would keep your PH up w/o adding a buffer, I think.
I add crushed coral in my filters of my planted tanks, and my brackish tanks to keep my PH up because the massive pieces of driftwood lower the PH.
You could also add crushed coral in your filter to keep the PH up instead of live rock.
Hmm.. I haven't seen a full picture of that puffer tank.
Next time you upload pics, can you post one?

jdak702

by jdak702

Yeah, my reef never really needs buffed. I'm not sure if i would want that crushed coral in my filter. Too messy. I put an older full tank shot up and also my sump if you would like to look. It is a trickle filter which is a type of wet/dry. I took the sponge and media out of the bubble trap in the filter pic. Those are both older pics.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I know I am a pain in the ass but I just wanted to ask you a couple more questions.
Did you build that wet/dry yourself? Or did you buy it? Does it seem to keep your water cooler by using it?
And, did you paint that 150G blue for a background? It looks blue to me. That is one big ass tank for the puffer. How many inches is the puffer right now, and how long have you had him? Do you have those tanks in a basement? Ok. LOL. Good for now. Nice set up for the puffer... what does he eat to keep his teeth down?
Got snails?

Check out Jdak.net

34 posts • Page 2 of 4