How can I heal my kissing gourami of a war wound?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

andythebus

by andythebus

I have 3 kissing gouramis. And although they fight and squabble all the time this is their natural behaviour.
However recently one of them received a small reddish bruise that has developed a small whitish nodule coming from it.This has happened over about 3 weeks ( from bruise to noddule).
Ive just given the effected fish a salt bath for about 3 hours and then popped it back into the tank. Is there anything else i can do?
8b1ea-injury 001.JPG
486ae-injury 002.JPG

BANGME338722

by BANGME338722

hi
ive found that fight wounds and other wound tend to help up on there own.
ive never heard of a salt wash by the way, u could add some melafix to help him/her to heal, or some other liquid jsut to help the wound along or ya fungus starts but min have survived without any help of meds

andythebus

by andythebus

Thanks for that. I was just a bit worried that it was becoming more and more like an open sore. Hence the salt bath.I got the idea for the salt bath from Freshwater Aquariums For Dummies by the way. I didnt know what else to do as it didnt do any advice for open sores but the salt bath was reccommended for general health problems and infections.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

I have heard of the salt dip.
I would let him be and see if it gets better on its own.

andythebus

by andythebus

kisssing gourami update.
Having taken the advice of letting nature take its course I'm pleased to announce that the fish in question is recovering well. The noddule has fallen off and the sore inflamed surrounding area has reverted back to a bruise and is clearing up fine.
Many thanks to STINGRAYSRULE and BANGME33 for you imput

5 posts