Need help with cloudy water

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DuckHunter13

by DuckHunter13

hey guys im kind of a newbie. Switched my 55 gallon last weekend and put some slate and white river rocks in it and i cant seem to get the water clear now anyone have any suggestions maybe i cant make it clear with the rocks? im not sure please help

myklein2

by myklein2

Did you wash the stones very well before you put them in? Unless you really scrubbed them, there is probably just some stone dust that has come off of the rocks. It will take the dust a while to settle, especially if you have a strong current in your tank. The best thing you can do is water changes and try not to stir more dust off the rocks when you put the new water in.

DuckHunter13

by DuckHunter13

yes i scrubbed them in warm water and a scotchbrite pad but i hadnt thought about more dust its been almost a week now i also did a partial water change earlier just to try

Alasse

by Alasse

I imagine you did a full pull down to remove the old decor and them re filled once the new stuff was in?? If yes....

The cloudy water will be a result of changing the tank. It is natural, All newly setup tanks go through this to a degree. it will settle once the tank settles and goes through the cycle process. It will be a bacteria bloom.

DuckHunter13

by DuckHunter13

thanks i didnt even think about that well not that i wouldve known it anyhow yes when i did it i stripped the tank down completely empty cleaned it and started from scratch i have just been used to having very clear water and this kinda shocked me but it guess its a learning process also does the amount of aeration have an effect on the water clearing up thanks guys for the help

5 posts