algae problem

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

rp3988

algae problem

by rp3988

I just notice that my tank have algae hair growing from my plant. I was wondering can anyone help me. I went to different fish shop, and ma n pa store too but they were not expert in plant tank. I have big fish in my tank, and I do not want to use chemical in my tank.
can someone help me.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

janus

by janus

Try to put some Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata) in your tank or some other water snails.
Or get some Bristlenose Plecos (Ancistrus temminckii) to clean algae up!
Or try reducing the artificial lighting time to eight hours, or a bit less if necessary,it will help to reduce algae growth.

darkruby

by darkruby

Janus made a great point but Be very careful about the type of snails you put in your tank, they will breed like crazy. Some special snails that have been aclimated to fresh water from salt do great for there eggs are not fertile.

rp3988

by rp3988

Ok. I just dont want to buy something that will get kill by my two monster flowerhorn. I forgot to tell you guys that my tank is infornt of the window. Petsmart sale person told me that I should just light the sun light in n dont even use my artificial lighting, until I need it. I didnt really trust him because I brought a fish, and it died. He seem to be a high school student without any experience's in plant tank.
thanks you guys for the suggestion. I will be reading about plant book this spring break.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

The sunlight im guessing is causing your algae... definitely leave it some place darker and leave your artificial lights on for 6 hours maximum a day, you will see your algae disappear. if you cant move your tank, then dont use your artificial lights ... but in my opinion the strength from the sunlight can cause a considerable amount of algae, even if just for two to three hours.

algae problem

6 posts