Freshwater Stingrays

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Leanderlion882570

Freshwater Stingrays

by Leanderlion882570

I was searching the web when i saw that there is such a thing as a Freshwater Stingray. Of course as would anybody, as soon as i seen it i wanted one. So basically i was just wanting to know if any of you know anything about them and if it is really that difficult to raise them.

PS- Thanks for the feedback on the last post (incase you were wondering i just went out and bought a brand new 100G tank)

*Thanks*

dragonmoray

Re: Freshwater Stingrays

by dragonmoray

Some species are relatively easy to keep. Bearing in mind they spend 90% of their time on the bottom they really need a long, wide tank. The tank width should really be at least 2 1/2 - 3 times the diameter of the Rays body also allowing for growth. They can be kept with other fish as long as they are too big to be eaten but because of their sedentary nature they are often targets for fish which may pick at them. For this reason, IMO they're best kept on their own. Some species are spectacular to look at - Potamotrygon Leopoldi is my favourite, followed by Potamotrygon Menchacai and then Motoro. I have dealt with all these species here in the UK in the past. Leopoldi and Menchacai are silly money, but Motoro is beautifully marked and fairly reasonably priced. I have never actually kept them (i have a reef and i can't provide the space) but i know a few people who have them. Hope this helps you
Jase

ladyplague

Re: Freshwater Stingrays

by ladyplague

i would love to have one. If i remember right they are a brackish fish so besure to use salt

Freshwater Stingrays

3 posts