Cycle seems to have stalled?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yayasisterhood

by yayasisterhood

I have a 10 gallon tank I have been doing a fishless cycle in. The cycle seemed to be on track till last week it stalled, the nitrites are at 5.0 but the nitrates are at <5.0 I have gotten the same readings for 10 days in a row. I am not sure of ammonia level as I am waiting for a tester that will work with the Amquel plus to be delivered.

jdak702

by jdak702

Amquel plus is probably what caused it. You shouldn't have added it during a cycle.

yayasisterhood

by yayasisterhood

Any suggestions? I had added it when I had a puffer in there that I had to move from my regular tank, my water comes from the tap with an ammonia of 4.5 to 5.0. the puffer didn"t make it

jdak702

by jdak702

I would start completely over and not add anything during the cycle. If you cancel out the ammonia during cycle, the cycle can't progress. Truthfully, that stuff only masks the ammonia. That is why your test is still reading it because it still exists. Just been altered in some way. My test kit doesn't even read past 1.0. Where are you getting your water? Next to the windex factory? Why didn't you just take some water out of your other tank that was already cycled? Assuming it is a bigger tank...

yayasisterhood

by yayasisterhood

I live in an area where they sent out a notice about 3 years ago that they where changing the way they processed our water it would need to be treated with something to keep from killing fish and exotics. my 29 gallon was already mature so I could keep up with water changes with my small RO unit. Can I just start it with the water from partial water change in 30 gallon tank then?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

you have no fish right?

It isnt wise to do water changes while cycling... you could... maybe just remove some a cup full a day

6 posts