Saltwater spill...angry wife............

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

So I am blessed with a 2 month year old daughter. She is pretty dang cute I might add. I also have the privilege of balancing my time and learning how to calm a crying baby. Well, the wife had left I was doing a water change and had a siphon pulling water out of my tank. Well the baby started crying and I did the good thing by going into "daddy mode" and ran upstairs to calm her. The problem is that I didn't stop the siphon...It was only 5 gallons that made it onto the carpet but that 5 gallons smell almost as bad as my girls diapers. I NEED HELP! I have cleaned the carpet twice with a carpet cleaner machine but it still reeks!! Has anyone had this problem and been able to clean and remove the odor?

jdak702

by jdak702

I don't know if you can lift the carpet and dry the underside. Does is smell like mildew? If you can lift the carpet, do that and put a fan under it. If not, just put a fan on top of the carpet for a few days. Maybe you can look into arm and hammer stuff after it completely dries.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea. I spill huge amopunts of water often(fresh though), and with a good fan the carpet's dry in a day or two.

jdak702

by jdak702

I find that once it dries, you can vacuum up the salt crystals. Sounds like i'm vacuuming sand when i come near my tanks.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Well, I cant really lift the carpet as the tank is on top of it. I put a fan over at washed the carpet twice with a carpet cleaner. It still reeks. The whole downstairs smells because of it. I have the professional carpet cleaners coming today. They guarantee they can get it out. They better cuz its costing me an arm and a leg.

5 posts