Dead Fish/Levels

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

HeidiG

Dead Fish/Levels

by HeidiG

I found one of our Mollies dead this morning.

We have had the tank set up since the first week of Jan and still have not seen the initial cycle. The ammonia has been high 2-4 with nitrite & nitrate at 0. I have done water changes every 3 days at about 40% to lower the ammonia levels for the fish.

Today with the Molly dead, I tested again. The ph is 7.6 (it has been this since set up), ammonia 1, Nitrite .50, Nitrate 5. So the numbers are starting to move, I'm not sure is this caused the death of the Molly.

I will do a 50% change now, due to the death. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

OK. You're having trouble. You should have had the cycle going by the first couple weeks.

Are you allowing bacteria to build up in your filter by leaving the filter medium in place?

Are you using dechlorinator?

How much do you feed? for a 20 gallon tank I would put about a teaspoon or less if you crush up the flakes a day.

HeidiG

by HeidiG

It's taking long because I was rinsing (in the tank water) the filter and wiping inside. I quit all that about 1 month ago. There are 2 filters and both are left alone and not rinsed until the cycle occurs. I have 2 so I can alternate them when they need to be replaced in the future.

With the water changes, I use stress coatwater conditioner and aquarium salt.

We feed the fish once daily with a small amt of flakes (less than 1 teaspoon) and one small sinking wafer for the cory & red tail.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It seems like you are on track and know the basics.

Good luck.

Dead Fish/Levels

4 posts