Fish emergency

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Fish emergency

by natalie265

Last night i found my crown tail betta, Edgar, tangled up in the java fern and the string it was tied down with. For those not familiar with crown tails, the fins are made up of long, thin strands, almost like tentacles. These were so tangled up that he was literally tied in knots and could barely move. I managed to free him, but only by cutting some of his fins. It was touch and go last night, but this morning he is doing better. Some of his fins are still in knots and it seems like it is making swimming a bit awkward for him. Should i cut these off or leave them as is? Edgar is my favorite fish and i'm really beside myself over this.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Natalie. That's the weirdest thing I've heard in a long time.

I really don't know. The fin will grow back if you don't cut it into the muscle, and I wonder if fins have pain receptors?

Can you post pics?

jdak702

by jdak702

I would think to leave it alone and let it heal but i can't be positive on that. good luck

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Good news! The fins seem to have untangled themselves. He is eating normally and looks like he's making a full recovery! I was wondering about pain receptors too and really not wanting to put him through any further trauma. As much as i love bettas, i'm beginning to realize just how much they've been selectively bred beyond the point of practicality. (But i do love those long, flowing fins)

jdak702

by jdak702

Betas are cool. We have them at our restaurants i work for. Kind of like a mascot. We learned the hard way not to spray for bugs around their bowl. Just thought somebody would find this helpful.

Fish emergency

5 posts