nitrates

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

tom77sky01

nitrates

by tom77sky01

How do I get my nitrates down quicker, I'm running a silver denitrater and its seems to not be working well. I have no skinner yet and I know that's a factor and I do weekly small water changes on my 100 gal. Any other thoughts out there I really want to have it ready for reef soon

gumbii

by gumbii

get a good skimmer...

do bigger waterchanges...

macro algaes...

RDSB...

sand filter...

there are so many things you can do... pick a budget and get whatever will fit your system best...

jdak702

by jdak702

If nitrates aren't going down with large water changes, they are in the water you are using. Do you use RO/DI or RO?

tom77sky01

by tom77sky01

I just started using ro/Di since I decided to get prepared to go to reef

jdak702

by jdak702

Were you using tap water before? This could be the cause. When did you start RO? Were you using a de-chlorinator with some kind of ammonia lock? This probably would break down the existing ammonia in tap water and that would become nitrates. Has nitrates gotten worse sense you started? You will never get 0 nitrates and i would say 10 is completely acceptable. By the way, what is your test kit reading for nitrates?

tom77sky01

by tom77sky01

The test started very dark red and is starting to lighten up I'm running a sulfur denitrater now and haven't added a skimmer yet hopefully by the end of the month. I did use tap and didn't know better till I wanted to start reef. I've been using ro/Di about a month and a half, haven't done any real big water changes yet, just small ones.

nitrates

6 posts