Carbon?

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

RunFaster011

Carbon?

by RunFaster011

Hey guys I'm new here and this is my first time testing out the forums but hopefully you could shed a little light on something for me. I am having trouble with a little cloudiness in my tank. It isn't bad but it's just enough to annoy me. Suggestions on how to get rid of this problem? It isn't new tank syndrome. Should I use carbon or something else?

jdak702

by jdak702

Carbon is good. Just rinse well. I like Chem-pure carbon. A little more expensive but last much longer.

myklein2

by myklein2

Try to cut back on feeding a little bit. Over feeding will cause the water to become cloudy.
Do weekly water changes.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites? It would be very important to do so, especially if this is a new tank. How long have you had the tank up and running? How many gallons is it? How many fish are in it? How often are you doing water changes?

I'd recommend a big water change (50-75%) for starters.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Natalie is right. Cloudiness is usually caused by bacteria being out of wack. Don't change the filter pads because you want to establist bacterial colonies to cycle the waste from the fish.

Test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and do that water change.

Remember dechlorinator as well.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Hey, that's a nice looking tank! I don't see any cloudiness!

bennyphan

by bennyphan

agreed, I like the tank man. nice choice of colors on the Discus. Brings more color to the tank, like the plants as well!

RunFaster011

by RunFaster011

Hey thanks guys for the comments. The tank looks clear in my pics but like i said it is just a little cloudy so the pics don't show it well. I just came back from a three day vacation and noticed that the tank was really clear. Perhaps I am feeding them to much and the food isn't getting eaten?

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Yeah, that was the first thing I learn, unless it is fish tank syndrome, you are probably over feeding the fish. Cut back on it, and it should clear up! If not, test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and cut back on the lighting too (only if you have high ammonia and algae begins to form)

Carbon?

9 posts