tank ruptured, disaster.

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

tank ruptured, disaster.

by Peterkarig3210

I was sitting in front of my computere and next to my planted 30 gallon when theree was a snap, and watere suddenly started gushing all over multiple powere strips, computere and keyboard.

The top that runs around the upper edges of the glass separated at the back corner seam along with the glass at the bck corner down to a few inches from the bottom.

I removed as many fish as I could catch, which is hard with all the plants, proped up the end of the tank that was broken, removed the plants and gravel at that end, and left some water at the other end for the rest of the fish. I had to open up and rinse out the seam, dry it, and buy a cable and tightning turnbukle to pull the seam back together after filing with silicone.

Tank is now full and holding water and all fish seem to be present. I was very lucky!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Keyboard is still drying out and I coudn't edit out the extra (e)'s

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

That's like my worst nightmare! It's so lucky you were there when it happened! Are you worried about the repair job holding?

bennyphan

by bennyphan

wow, fast thinking PK... Thinking about getting a new tank then?

prdoring

by prdoring

Wow dude... you being my best information source.... I need to get a bit profane and say that f*#&ing blows. I'm glad it was handled well. If that happened to me, it wouldn't be my problem, it'd be my roommate below me'!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've got a thick rug that soakes up a lot of water and I had a lot of towels and a new keyboard. The other one I melted trying to dry it faster, so this is the new one.

The tank is holding water fine. I was very lucky and saved most of the fish and therew is a bare area now at the end of the tank.

I haven't put the plants back because I think I may open up the middle and do a little rearanging..

I'll try to post pics of the tank tomorrow.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think the tank is safe now. I think the heat from the lights weakened the 45 degree seam at the corner of the retaining ring. The cable will hold it a lot stronger than the origonal.

This aquarium was flexible enough so I could see that the crack ended a couple inches from the bottom. The rest of the seams seemed fine.

I spread out the cracik, rinsed it, dried it, put silicone in it, and tightned with the cable turnbuckle, and some bungi cords.

tank ruptured, disaster.

7 posts